TR (long): Wet in the Cathedral Range, July 25-31, 2021

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR (long): Wet in the Cathedral Range, July 25-31, 2021

Post by wildhiker »

Harlen wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:02 am Wow! That open, meadowy country all around, from Evelyn to Ireland is really intriguing to us Phil. All of your photos from around Lake Ireland are just fantastic! Lizzie is very keen to hike there, and wonders if there is any fishing to be had in those lakes. Rlown mentioned good fishing in Townsley I recall; at least he seemed to know that lake well, which we think means good fishing. We are reminded of the high open country highlighted in giantbrookie's TR from High Emigrant Lake, only that was volcanic, and much more stark. This is an epic report with all that you experienced- the solitude, beauty and now on Days 4 and 5-- the weather!
you wrote:
I decided to setup camp under the presumption that a good thunderstorm was imminent.
The literal foreshadowing of another harrowing storm event. Your experience shows in how you read the weather, and always seem to set up in time, at least so far....

... A wet trip indeed, but each day began beautiful. I much prefer some weather over trips with clear blue skies throughout, but you did get more than your fair share of it. We're glad you didn't put your camera away on the last day, as those last 4 photos are all really nice.
I plan to shamelessly follow your route one day Phil, thanks for the inspiration.
Thanks for all the kind words, Ian. By the way, in good weather, my abbreviated route can be done much quicker!