Old Muir Trail mapped?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Old Muir Trail mapped?

Post by commonloon »

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! The gifts have been opened and I'm now sitting, listening to the rain (wonderful!), sipping some coffee and doing a bit of reading.

A thought I had this morning is that I know of bits of where the old Muir trail or pre-Muir trail wandered from its current route, e.g. Cartridge Pass, Junction Pass or was it Harrison Pass(?). BUT is there a map old or that someone has compiled of the "Old" or pre route(s)?

So happy to see the snow! Hope it continues, fingers crossed. Enjoy the new year!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Old Muir Trail mapped?

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks @maverick!
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

That's a great webpage, thanks for the link @maverick
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

:thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Saltydog »

The trail went through so many changes, beginning soon after it was first laid out and mapped in 1915-1916, that some of it never was built as mapped and some was never even actually travelled before or after it was mapped. Several parts were changed before others wer completed. Alternative temporary routes were never part of the official route, other changes were only quasi-official. As a result, as of 2021 the entire original trail had never been through hiked, and and at least a couple of significant sections had not been hiked since 1908, or ever.

In 2021, just before Maverick started this thread, I put together the first such through-hike. Over 4 weeks in July and august of that year , a group of about 12 of us, in various combinations, did the whole route in a single trip, for the first known time, based on meticulous research and a high res file of the original route, which I had studied for a couple of years.

Attached is a video of the presentation we made in Tuolumne on our stopover there two days into the trek. The attached photo is of the Summit team on August 10, 2021. Brian Kimball, on the right, and I did the entire route. Neenah Spellman, left joined us at Evo Basin for the second half of the push.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKlOGx2Skco&t=2289s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.