TR: Ediza-Nydiver-Thousand Island July 2021

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sturdyoak2012
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Ediza-Nydiver-Thousand Island July 2021

Post by sturdyoak2012 »

Here's a link to the trip report on my own site: http://www.jacobnie.com/outdoors/210704/210704.html

The Nydiver Lakes were so beautiful and such a great way to get away from the crowds that sometimes seem kind of inescapable in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. With the exception of the north side of Whitebark Pass, I think this route is a pretty gentle and beautiful XC experience!

I hope you enjoy the pictures! And there is a youtube video to go along with it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TST35agygQc
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Ediza-Nydiver-Thousand Island July 2021

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice trip and beautiful photos. You had some wonderfully clear (not smoky) skies and the wildflowers were really nice too. I guess the only downside would be the mosquitoes and some of the usual things such as the ankle roll. As you note, just a little bit of off trail travel gets you away from the crowds.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thank you Jason!
Just what I needed, a new and very fine TR. I just viewed the TR by paul for the 9th time. Not saying I didn't love it again-- skiing all the way across the range from Huntington Lake to Lamarck Col... but a new trip by you guys in that brilliant Ritter Range country was just what the doctor ordered.
Loved the video you made too, with the quirky but fun choice of music. Cheers on your backcountry route.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Thank you Jacob for the great report ! I need to bump this area up on my (too long) list of areas I need to visit.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

When in July?? It looked like probably early July. Unfortunately, beautiful wildflowers usually come with a side of mosquitoes. You may have used head nets, but if not, I highly recommend them to keep mosquitoes out of your face and ears. Sounds like you were not blessed with a stiff wind, which is the only relief one can get at peak mosquito hatch.

I agree that there likely is no "best" route down the north side of White Bark Pass. Also depends on snow. There was a corniced snow patch when I did it, that forced me to traverse upward from the east side. Thankfully it is a short pass.

Thanks for the trip report. Nice to read reports throughout the winter.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Love the close ups of the Ritter Range and Minarets. Would definitely guess early July too. Lake Virginia, a bit south, was swimming in Paintbrush on July 11, and Crater Meadow in Lupine on the 12th. So yes, first half of July.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

And a lovely video. Well edited. Brought back many memories of those routes and trails.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Sounds like you all had a great adventure--even Zach and Brandon! thanks for posting--as Daisy said, it makes for good reading in the winter.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Great video. Thanks for posting.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Ditto, great video and really liked the selection of music. I kind of lost track how many times I've been across the river trail, but its been a few years now so I appreciate the memories brought forth by the video.