John Muir Trail Without a Resupply?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

John Muir Trail Without a Resupply?

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I was struck with an idea, a challenge even, a couple of weeks ago that seemed a little crazy... hike the JMT without a resupply. Given the folly of such an idea, I thought it belonged in the wild west of the forums, The Campfire. Here we have discussed how little food can sustain a person walking through the woods, some suggesting that only adult beverages are necessary, and food is just a nice luxury.

I had heard tale of a person attempting a hike of the JMT without resupply on a dare, but I believe that person said they didn't finish. And, of course there are the fast packers attempting FKTs who don't resupply. Then there are the mountain men (and women) who survived largely on what they killed and ate while completing the non-recreational long trails of the time. But, what about an office denizen, as soft as a marshmallow with knees made of delicate broken china?

I see 2 possible strategies. 1) Go as light as possible, shoving about 33,000 calories in your bear cannister, and completing the trail in 11 days or less by averaging 20+ miles per day. 2) Breakout that old, huge 85 liter pack that weighs nearly seven pounds but can hold that lightweight gear plus not one but 2 bear cannisters! Plan 2 involves fewer miles per day, an average of 12 or slightly less, fewer calories per day, but more free time for fishing to boost those calories and even more so boost that protein intake. Plan 2 also involves about 25 more pounds on your back to start the hike for the second bear cannister filled with food, fishing gear, fuel (fires probably won't be an option), and cookware.

I throw it open to the group. Which would you prefer, or maybe which would you consider less crazy? A quick sprint or a long haul?
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Re: John Muir Trail Without a Resupply?

Post by Bishop_Bob »

I tried doing that in 2004. Made it from Horseshoe to Red’s before needing to get food for that last stretch to YNP. It was all business from wake to rest: hike, hike, hike. I didn’t have any fun and swore I’d keep it relaxed from then on. The final sting was that I had to exit at Tuolumne instead of Happy Isles because of a fire.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

Ha! If you hike the JMT in August, you could visit the leftover hiker barrels at VVR and MTR and probably pickup enough free food to supply a small army. Perhaps this is cheating for your discussion prompt, though.

Also, when I was on the PCT in 2005, I met a speedy thru-hiker that was eating only energy bars and trail mix. It weighed about 1 pound per day, which is quite light for backpacking food. He was frequently skipping normal resupply points and doing 10-14 days between resupplies. It sounded like a gastrointestinal nightmare to me, but he seemed to be loving it.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Depending on how many miles per day you are comfortable with, there may be another possibility; spend a few hundo on a custom size bearikade that will hold maybe 16 or 18 days of food. It would be heavier than a standard expedition but significantly less than two of them.
Doing the JMT without resupply is sort of a game since the resupply options are fairly easy. What appeals to me is the idea of a long trip without resupply that is off the beaten path, to be able to enjoy the solitude and have a longer immersive experience away from roads and buildings and such. With gear under 15 lbs, the idea of 25 lbs of food does not seem too bad, and for me that would be about 16 days - but I'd need that custom can to make that work unless I want to carry my weekender on top of my expedtion.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

When I was a wee lad in Scouts (over fifty years ago!) we did a Sabrina to Whitney Portal without no resupply. But I was younger then...

IIRC our pre-modern era packs weighed a ton at the beginning. A lot less when we were done.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:23 pm ... But, what about an office denizen, as soft as a marshmallow with knees made of delicate broken china?...
That eliminates both plans right from the get go. Both would require the fitness of either a gazelle or a pack mule.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I've known some backpackers who were going to do the JMT southbound, but they needed one resupply at Charlotte Lake. It was arranged for me to carry in one food bag from Onion Valley, meet and transfer the bag, and return to Onion Valley in the same day (which gets around all sorts of permit hassles for me). We were all set up with Garmin inReach devices so that we could coordinate the meet perfectly. I was not getting rich at this, but my fee paid for my gasoline. Besides, I am the one with the bad knees.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The longest I went without resupply was 18 days- and actually had 20 days of food but "hitched" a boat ride for the last 2 days, which was along two connected reservoirs. I have done many 14-15-day backpacks. In all cases I used my trusty old external frame Kelty- it is a really good load carrier. Before today's lightweight gear, we regularly carried 50-60 starting weights and did not give it a second thought. That just how it was. You do go slower the at first, but then can really ramp up the miles the last half. You could also go no-cook and save the weight of fuel. You should look into alcohol stoves (if they are legal). Early season you can usually build some small cook-fires. The JMT has a lot of places to camp that are below the altitude limit for fires. Go seriously UL with gear other than pack. The weight of the pack is worth it if it is what allows you to more easily carry the required load.

You have a store along the route at Tuolumne, which saves a few day's food. I would stash the food in a TH bear box (labeled when you will pick it up) take the bus to the Valley and walk back with an overnight. Not sure they do it much anymore, but the Crabtree RS used to have a box of free food. I do not think using food from the "free" sources is "cheating". PCT hikers do it all the time.

I have also done two 4-day/50 mile "survival" treks. It is possible, if not pleasant. Not really a big deal if you run out of food the last two days or so. There are also a few odds and end left. I have been offered food from other backpackers who always take too much and are quite happy to unload some. You actually are doing them a favor. This is usually done when taking a rest break with them. Start a conversation and let it be known you will take any extra they have.

I would say, go for it. Pack the minimum - no more than 1.25 pounds per day, plan food for 2 days less than needed, and if you have to come out early, so be it. I do not think walking 15-18 miles per day or even 20 or so, on the JMT is unreasonable. Do it in late June, for maximum daylight. Get base weight (not counting pack) to 15 pounds. Do not get stressed if you are slow at first- you WILL go faster. Helps if you are already acclimated to altitude before you start and you have done a few shorter backpacks. As far as being an "office worker", you should walk 4-5 miles every day months before the trip, or run. You should do that regardless of the JMT or not! Great for your long-term health.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I went from Tuolumne Mdws to Whitney Portal in 13 days with no resupply. Half of my dinners were trout I caught when I got to the evening's camping spot. I used an old Kelty and it was comfortable despite the 50 pound starting weight. I didn't know about filtering so that saved a pound. I took a side trip into the Kern headwaters so my final milage was probably about the same as if I had started at Happy Isles.
Trip report at: http://www.sierrahiker.com/JohnMuirTrail/index.html
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I was viewing this more from the perspective of a challenge. I totally understand that there is no reason to do it, as resupply options are plentiful. I used the JMT as an easily understandable and relatable trek. If I were to do it, especially with a heavy pack and fishing, I would deviate from the JMT in several spots. The proposal of going stoveless as part of Plan 2 (I would assume stoveless if you were aiming for a 10-day hike of the JMT or similar length trip) would eliminate some weight more than the stove and fuel itself, it would also eliminate the fishing gear; but it would also eliminate the extra calories and protein from fishing. Sure you could spend that fishing time hiking instead, but with that heavy pack, would you want to?