Santa's naughty list

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Santa's naughty list

Post by balzaccom »

Who's been naughty? Please feel free to add, delete, amend, correct, fold, spindle or mutilate:

Each year we put together a naughty list, and a nice list, to share our thoughts about this year's adventures. Here's the first part of that list:

Who's naughty this year?

Idiots who deface our public spaces and parks, whether that be with graffiti, trash, or endless piles of stacked rocks. Just leave no trace. That’s all we ask.

Knuckleheads who make campground reservations and fail to show up—and fail to cancel them so that others could take advantage of the open space. It’s so sad to see campgrounds fully booked—and 30% of the spaces unoccupied.

One particular place in hell for the creep who stole our leveling blocks and step from our campsite one day when we were out on a hike in Kings Canyon. Grrr.

The multitudes of perfect people on the internet who have never made a mistake and are careful to second guess and point out the stupidity of anyone who has a problem in the outdoors. Sometimes stuff happens. And what you read in the news may not be the whole story. Shocking.

And let’s also include those who read about someone’s experiences and immediately point out what they are doing wrong, and why they should change. Hike your own hike. And let other people hike theirs.

Anyone who knows so much about the outdoors that they can ignore the rules. No fires? Well, I can build a small fire. Use a bear can? Well, I hang my food and have never had a problem. My dog doesn’t need to be on a leash, and doesn’t carry parasites…Etc. etc. Get over yourself. John Muir led domestic sheep into the Sierra, and damn near exterminated all the native sheep in our mountains. We have rules now, for good reason.

And yes, those silly people who think that the fact that they are tired, or thirsty, or just don't want to hike any more means that they should call 911 and request a "rescue." Here's a tip: sit down and rest for fifteen minutes. Drink some water, eat a little something. and then get up and slowly start putting one foot in front of the other. You'll be amazed how well it works.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Santa's naughty list

Post by bobby49 »

balzaccom wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:00 am Knuckleheads who make campground reservations and fail to show up—and fail to cancel them so that others could take advantage of the open space. It’s so sad to see campgrounds fully booked—and 30% of the spaces unoccupied.
I figured out a way to deal with that sort of no-show many years ago. At the time of reservation, they must pay the normal fee, like $10 or $20 or $30. Plus, they pay an extra high fee, like $50. When they show up for the thing, they get their $50 refunded. If they don't show up for any reason, then they just made a $50 contribution to my favorite conservation charity. So, if they are good about this, it never costs them any thing extra.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Why not a "NICE' list instead?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

+1
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Nice list follows tomorrow. As noted above, this is the first part
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Well, there are a few people who are indicted for starting forest fires this year.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Jimr wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:37 pm Well, there are a few people who are indicted for starting forest fires this year.
If proven guilty, definitely on my naughty list, though would probably use a stronger four-letter word.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:59 pm
Jimr wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:37 pm Well, there are a few people who are indicted for starting forest fires this year.
If proven guilty, definitely on my naughty list, though would probably use a stronger four-letter word.
Me too, but innocent until proven guilty.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.