Sierra Snowpack Could Be Gone In 25 Years

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra Snowpack Could Be Gone In 25 Years

Post by maverick »

San Francisco Chronicle:

Snowpack in California’s Sierra Nevada could disappear in just 25 years

As the climate continues to warm, more and more of the snow falling on California’s mountains will be replaced by rain. Already in recent decades, the snow season has shrunk by a month, according to one estimate, while snow levels have moved upward by 1,200 feet, according to another.

Scientists and water managers say that at some point California’s snowpack could simply disappear. This would leave the state without the crucial spring and summer melt-off that fills rivers and streams, nourishes plants and animals, and provides a huge chunk of the water supply. It would also be devastating for the ski industry.

This snowless future, according to a new study led by researchers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, could arrive in California’s Sierra Nevada in as soon as 25 years. The study is among many to detail the decline in snow, but it’s unique in synthesizing decades of research to nail down exactly when the snow might be gone. And it offers a timeline that is alarmingly short.

“Warming just doesn’t allow for snow to persist,” said Alan Rhoades, a hydroclimate research scientist at Lawrence Berkeley Lab and one of the lead authors of the paper. “Our one major goal was to identify how much time we have to roll out adaption strategies.”
More for you

Experts say that preparing for a Sierra with less snow won’t be easy, or cheap, but they agree it must be done.

The new study, published last month in the journal Nature Reviews Earth & Environment, projects that by the late 2040s, half of the area historically covered by snow in the Sierra will likely have “low or no” snow for five straight years, given current warming trends. By the late 2050s, it could be 10 straight years that the same area sees low or no snow.

The paper defines “low snow” as when snowpack — technically, the snow-water equivalent, or how much water the snow releases when it melts — falls within the lower 30th percentile of its historical peak. “No snow” is defined as when snowpack falls to or below the 10th percentile.

“It’s always shocking when I see the numbers,” said Rhoades, who grew up in California. “Snow has always been part of my life, since childhood.”

The study’s findings are based on a review of hundreds of scientific papers on snowpack, 18 of which contain quantitative projections. The authors looked not only at the Sierra Nevada but at the Cascades in the Pacific Northwest and parts of the Rockies.

In all of these mountain ranges, the study finds that at least half of the historically snow-covered spots will see low or no snow for five straight years by the 2060s, at the current rate of warming. By the 2070s, the same amount of area will see 10 straight years of low or no snow.

The Sierra Nevada is the first to be hit. The California mountains are more vulnerable because storm temperatures, moderated by the Pacific Ocean, are generally warmer.

Already, the Sierra has seen a glimpse of its future. In 2015, at the height of a five-year drought, state snow surveyors marched into the mountains on April 1, when snow is historically at its peak, and found mostly dry ground. Their gauges measured the snowpack at 5% of average, the lowest ever recorded in decades of surveying.

This year marked another grim milestone. While the April snowpack was greater, 59% of average, the melt-off from the snow was extraordinarily low because of how much water was absorbed by parched soils amid the current drought or lost to evaporation amid extreme heat. State officials said runoff efficiency, essentially a measure of how much snow makes it to rivers and reservoirs, was 20% compared to the usual 60%.

A primary concern about snow loss is the dent it puts in the water supply.

Much of the infrastructure that collects and delivers water in the state is conditioned upon having snow on mountaintops well into summer. Hundreds of reservoirs, including such giants as Shasta Lake and Lake Oroville, rely not only on storms for water during the wet winter months, but melting snow to provide another boost once the weather dries out in spring.

Without this spring and summer bump, as much as 30% of the state’s water supply could be lost.

“It’s hard to picture: thinking about a future where our kids and grandkids have little or no snow and what that means for our water resource,” said Erica Siirila-Woodburn, a research scientist at Lawrence Berkeley Lab and the other lead author of the new paper. “Our part in all of this is to put our science out there ... to inform some of the policy.”

The authors framed their paper as a “call to action.”

While state water managers are generally aware of the problem, their response has been slow, especially relative to the new, more dire timetable for snow loss.

Some want to expand or even build new reservoirs so that more of the winter runoff can be captured in the face of the decline in spring and summer. One of the biggest proposals is Sites Reservoir, an off-stream storage project in Colusa County that would collect surplus water from the Sacramento River. Its estimated cost has varied from $3 billion to $5 billion.

The high price of these projects, as well as the need to protect fish and wildlife, have made them difficult to get off the ground. Also, most of the good spots for reservoirs have been taken.

Ellen Hanak, director of the Water Policy Center at the Public Policy Institute of California, who was not part of the study, said the state will have to pursue a range of initiatives to maintain adequate water supplies as the snowpack decreases.

One of the best investments, she said, is storing more winter runoff not just in reservoirs but underground.

“California is really well positioned to use aquifers in an active way by recharging them,” she said. “Some of our systems have been doing it for decades ... and there’s a lot of interest in expanding groundwater recharge.”

Karla Nemeth, the director of the California Department of Water Resources, speaking at a virtual conference held by the Water Policy Center this month about water infrastructure, also advocated a multiprong approach to the future. Among the most important strategies, she said, is doing a better job both projecting California’s runoff and managing it.

“DWR is really redoubling efforts to improve our forecasting,” Nemeth said. “Foundationally, we need better information.”

In September, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that several billion dollars of state money would go to drought resilience, including expanding water supplies.

A ballot measure proposed for next year, which supporters are still trying to gather qualifying signatures for, calls for even more money for water projects: 2% of the state’s entire general fund budget. Voters in 2014 approved a $7.5 billion water bond, much of which is still being spent on new supplies and storage.

Kurtis Alexander is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: kalexander@

sfchronicle.com Twitter: @kurtisalexander
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 660437.php
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
erutan
Topix Expert

Re: Sierra Snowpack Could Be Gone In 25 Years

Post by erutan »

I remember a while back seeing that California might get an extra 10-15% precip due to shifting ocean currents due to climate change. That seemed good to me since California historically cycles through wetter (semi-arid) and dryer (arid) cycles and without climate change we were likely due for a drier period that hasn't really occured since european settlers have been here in number, but a bunch of rain bombs isn't really what we need in terms of sustained water over the course of a year. The range has been on a perfect knife edge climate wise - tons of water sources, very little summer precip, nice meadows even above 11k but very open forest

I've had a semi-informed hunch that there was probably around 20 years of recreational use left in the range - this summer was really kept alive by permanent snowfields and glaciers along with the scattered monsoonal rains, but those have really been dwindling in the past decade. Once they start drying up there will be more tree death up high, longer water carries, large fires going higher, etc. Yosemite has a few large sections with a lot of dead/dying pines above 10k (Emeric below Vogelsang and Virginia Canyon come to mind). Warmer winters also mean less kill offs of pine tip moths and bark beetles. It's going to be a vicious cycle. Bear Lakes will be even more of a destination heh, some scattered / sheltered high basins should be in relatively good shape.

IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_3569.jpg
IMG_3573.jpg

All of the corporations with the folksy "farms mean food" "build more dams" "water is jobs" signs in the central valley might get what they want - hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars damming in yet more of the Sierra so they can sell Almonds overseas for a tidy profit. In a less tongue in cheek note, regional agricultural collapses aren't going to be pretty and we're on track for 2.5-3C of change by 2100 assuming all current pledges are honored etc.

It really is a shame climate advocacy focused on sea level rise by 2100 stats for so long... and how good the fossil fuel industries PR campaigning & lobbying has been (Exxon and Shell researchers did a lot of legitimate scientific research into it in the 80s, the president of the american petroleum association acknowledged it as a grave risk that could go out of control by the year 2000 back in 1965, etc etc).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

That paper matches what I have noticed. When I first moved here in 1975 the old timers told me the '3&6' rule -- below three thousand feet the winter was mostly rain with little snow. 3-6 thousand was mixed with about half and half. Above 6k precipitation was mostly snow with little rain.
The last few years seems to have shifted those upward about a thousand feet.

When I did my grad work in the 90s, my thesis focused on calculating the probability of a fire-stopping storm for a Wilderness Natural fire. The 50th percentile probability of sufficient precip to stop the spread of a fire was September 20th, with near certainty by November 7. I know those values are no longer valid.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

To say there is only 20 years left for "Sierra recreation" is a stretch of pessimism. The article was saying a shift from winter snow to rain, with year-to-year variation with the possibility of all snow being gone in about 80 years. There still will be winter rains. Regardless of the timing, the change is not the doom of Sierra recreation. We will have to shift our timing. Perhaps in 30 years, backpacking season will be from March to July, with little running water by early August. Yes, snow dependent sports may be lost. Lots of recreation will remain. We just have to re-imagine how we engage in our outdoor activities.

What we are losing is our natural snowpack reservoir that feeds streams, lakes and groundwater gradually throughout the year. We may have to change our idea of "natural" and "wilderness" in order to preserve it. This may mean human made structures, such as many small upstream dams along a stream, both in order to prevent winter flooding in the valley and to maintain a steady flow for streams in the mountains. This is not something new. An example is Desolation Wilderness. Aloah Lake is dammed. So are many other lakes. We may have to quit tearing these down or revive them if they are in poor repair. Another human intervention would be to create many small groundwater intake basins to feed springs. I hope "environmentalists" do not get stuck on a static definition of wilderness. I do not see human intervention or structures as wholesale destroying wilderness but rather saving wilderness and all the wildlife and wild plants that depend on it. If it is done right. There are many choices.

It would be interesting to look at other mountain ranges that no longer get snow but still some rain in order to visualize the future of the Sierra. The "Range of Light" is very much a feature of above timber mountains and cliffs and canyons. I think we will still have the "Range of Light" a hundred years from now. And be able to enjoy it.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

In 2015 we had a 7% of average snowpack. That pretty much rounds down to zero. Ski resorts closed in February. Not sure we need to wait 25 years...
Last edited by c9h13no3 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Hmmm. Makes the name of the range a bit inaccurate, doesn't it? Sad story indeed.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Well, here is 2017. Not so shabby for snow. The high snow years are projected to become less frequent and the low snow years more frequent, but we still have a lot of back and forth to go before Sierra snow is "gone". 2019 was not that bad either, for snow. Do not get me wrong, I am not a climate change/global warming denier. At some point there will be no more Sierra snow.
IMG_6249.JPG
Upper Pioneer Basin Lake.jpg
7351-2_Granite Par_crop_color-1.jpg
324-26_edited-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

There's a lot of dams in Emigrant and Humboldt Toiyobe as well - my partner from the east coast is always bemused by them heh. Agreed on ideas of wilderness being unmanaged aren't reasonable - selective logging in the NFS foothills would have been beneficial for instance. Everyone wants everything cheap and disposable, and having selective low impact logging isn't as cost effective as clear cutting, so there sadly hasnt been a ton of middle ground, though some smaller forestors have been doing a good job. Heck, indiginous people historically had controlled burns, created meadows, etc but still lived in a world that modern society would consider natural. I feel similarly about GMO foods (which is sort of a Santa Cruz style leftist boogeyman) in a few decades it's either we have drought/pest resistant foods or massive agricultural collapse.

11, 17, and 19 were all good winters (with some passes being snowed in the following summer in late August, etc), but they didn't make a dent in the overall trend. As we saw last summer the impacts of 12-16 weren't reversed at all by 17 & 19.

Shifting the season to start in March/April is a good point. July is already fire season, but once we have enough fires like the creek, rim, and rough up around 9-11k ripping through the range there won't be the fuel for them to be devastating enough to seriously impact being in the backcountry. Granted most of my time is spent between 9-12k, but hiking into burn scars all the time after dropping from granite won't have quite the same feel, then you have the impacts of erosion, lack of wildlife, etc.

Recreation will be possible to some extent of course - some of the high basins might be quite similar and it's not like Tulainyo is going to change heh. I guess where I'm coming from more is not "it'll be impossible to recreate in the Sierra" but more "it won't really be worth it". It'll still have the perfect balance of jagged alpine terrain with mellow class 2/3 accessibility but if we're spring hiking through burn scars in rain storms (which will get more intense), avoiding landslides due to erosion, with short days before there's enough low intensity fires in early July that you're doing long water carries with a mask on... maybe it'll finally be time to dig into the Winds.

I really do need to get around to early summer trips in western SEKI before that's all gone. 395 trailheads will become increasingly popular as fire season lengthens and intensifies.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

For me, less than ideal recreating is still "worth it". I have come to this point simply because, as I get older, I have had to re-define my objectives. I even enjoy walking the dog down at the river! On the other hand, smoke choking the air or extreme lack of water sources would likely make me forego a trip. As much as I prefer the mountains, I am also very happy backpacking the coastal regions, such as Lost Coast. I do sympathize with those who prefer winter recreation; you cannot ski on sand.

The article cited was in the context of water resources. The bulk of Sierra snowpack that is considered "water supply" is in the lower elevations of the Sierra, which will lose snowpack sooner than the high elevations. I agree that walking through burned, dry, ugly lower forested land in order to get to the high country would be sad; but for me, not a deal breaker.

From a longer-look perspective, when I started climbing and backpacking in the late 1960's, I missed out on the earlier historical conditions of remnants of the "little ice age". That did not stop me from enjoying the conditions I encountered. I really did not think about it much, mainly because that is the way youth think- very much into the present.

The more serious issue is habitat loss for wildlife and vegetation which cannot adapt fast enough to likely survive. And of course, the wildfire issue.

Given the polarized politics of today I am really concerned that we will not have the political will nor cooperation needed to face the future.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

East coast hikes aren't spectacular but are pleasant, I really like the coastal / redwood hikes of California, the lush forests of the PNW are neat, some of the canyons of the SW are spectacular... but there's just something about the Sierra that brings me (and others) coming back, and I feel -that- will be gone.

I do agree that people look at the last 10-20 years and think "this is the way things should be!" and don't see everything as in flux. Some neighborhoods that are controversial for gentrifying now were wealthy half a century ago, had urban flight and become industrial, went mostly vacant as production ceased, became slummy, then had some artistic revitalization due to location and cheap rents, and are now desireable to live in. Go back a hundred years and arguments over neighborhoods aren't even recognizeable, let along 30-50.

Upper Blackcap Basin & Bear Lakes Basins should weather change well. Ionian has nothing to burn lol. But getting there will be less pleasant - even my trips this year that spent most of their time above 10k would be spending a decent chunk of that in burn scars or dessertified areas, especially on the first day or two of a trip (and pretty much every dayhike). Heading up from Lower Pine Lake through Granite Park would be a lot less interesting if that's all a burn scar and the switches up the old mining road will get washed out more often, even if Bear Lakes Basin itself is still nice in May/June. To each their own, but I love the shift from slab to forest to meadow (say Wright & Wales/Wallace canyons, etc) and that'll be gone or at least noticebaly less interesting. Eastern Tyndall Creek, Upper French Canyon, and Humphries Basin are not my favorite spots.

Aside from the ultrapolarization, there's just the structural factors in play that favor the party in our country that isn't concerned about climate change on a policy level. House redistricting is set to at the very least favor the GOP as much as it currently does https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/re ... 2022-maps/, the senate will continue to reward low population states which due to demographic trends favor the GOP (in a 50/50 senate the dems represent 45M more people, north+south dakota have 4 senators for 8% of the population of greater LA), and the electoral college does as well (only one republican presidential candidate has won the popular vote since 1988, Bush in 2004). The chances of the democratic party retaining the house and gaining senate seats in the midterms to be able to override Manchin (whose family runs his old coal mine) are pretty slim, and legislation would still be limited to what falls under budget reconciliation without support to further limit the filibuster.

We could run ~70% of the country on renewable energy now, with the remaining being natural gas & nuclear to fill in geographic and/or seasonal need, install heat exchange pumps for houses, insulate them better, switch to induction stoves, lower meat consumption (but keep some livestock to be part of the lifecyles of farms, natural fertilizer > chemicals) set up EV charging stations and cars (battery lifespans aren't ideal, but still better than status quo combustion engines and getting better), etc we'd have -better- quality of life and a dramatically lower carbon footprint.

Whenever people point to how many gallons of oil we're using today for x or y - it's like pointing out US military manufacturing capacity in 1940, or how many horse carraiges we had before the highway system. It'd take a dedicated level of effort similar to WW2 production capacity to get it done in time (vs meaningful incrementalism which would have been an option back in the 1980s) which I agree seems unlikely to happen for cultural & political reasons. I do think there will be change but it'll come too late to prevent a lot of devastation, if enough to stave off a sixth extinction event etc. I generally keep out of the OT stuff because I don't see the point in soapboxing on the internet as a means of changing minds, but I've enjoyed this back and forth / opportunity to vent. :)
Last edited by erutan on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.