TR: Dusy Basin and Palisade Basin, August 2021

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Dusy Basin and Palisade Basin, August 2021

Post by LMBSGV »

This is my usual long essay description of a trip taken last August over Bishop and Knapsack passes. The written trip report is here:

http://laurencebrauer.com/Images/TripRe ... -final.pdf

The photos are at the top of the page here:

http://laurencebrauer.com/ASITHSTripReports.html

I hope the report and photos provide an entertaining diversion from all the unpleasant news permeating our planet.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Dusy Basin and Palisade Basin, August 2021

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Enjoyed the photos and your report. I was not aware that Phil Arnot died. His book was one of the first Sierra guidebooks I bought when I moved here in the late 1990's. The first solo trip I did was a 14-day journey connecting many of his feature destinations, including Ionian Basin and Palisades basin. At that time there were still fish in the Barrett Lakes. I have been in Barrett Basin a few other times, mostly to climb (Thunderbolt, N Palisade, and Sill), and seldom met more than one or two people. I have also gone in via Thunderbolt Pass - and actually camped exactly on the top of the pass to climb Thunderbolt. It is a special place; I am glad you had a successful trip.

PS I think a reference to Potluck Pass in the later pages of your trip report may refer to Knapsack Pass.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I’m gratified you enjoyed the report, WD. As to your P.S, Oops! The Potluck Pass on page 18 is an unclear reference on my part. The man had crossed Potluck and then climbed Knapsack by the GPS route. I fixed it so it now says Knapsack at that part of the sentence. Thanks for noticing that.

Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Lawrence, I really enjoyed your report, and viewing your many beautiful images. From this great trip of yours to Palisade Basin, the images of the Palisades, and especially your portraits of North Pal, are truly exquisite! So are many others, but the "Silhouette, sunrise and the tarns by Lake 11,468" stands out. I couldn't help being lured into your other portfolios, and found amazing photos of "Finger Peaks from Burro Pass," and the sunset image from Yosemite, and the one of The Hulk!" ... and on and on. You simply take fantastic photos, and it is a joy for us to see them-- so thanks.

In you writing about the beauty of just being there in the Sierra; of "doing nothing," as you say, I am reminded of a piece of wonderful/inscrutable Chinese philosophy. It is a term, which I think is written as "Wu wei," and my favorite translation is: "Doing nothing... leaving nothing undone."
I think you were onto that magic path there above Barrett Lakes.

Congratulations on a wonderful trip.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thank you, Harlan. It means a lot to me coming from you whose own trips show how you understand "Wu wei".

stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Laurence, thank you for this gift. You so eloquently express the frustration of confronting your physical limitations, and the questioning and the fear "is this it?" "am I done backpacking the Sierra?" when you are not ready to let go. And then the sweet exaltation of nailing a trip, exactly measured to your ability, and blessed to camp in a Most Holy Place specifically anointed at this time for you. Next year awaits.

Many of us are dealing, adjusting, accepting that we are no longer as able. You speak beautifully and encouragingly for us. Again, thank you.

Shifting gears a bit...how wonderful it is to return to favorite places. And how it highlights our "old age" dilemma: do I go see a place again? or do I go see something new? I get but one Sierra hike a year. What will it be next summer? But returning can also be disappointment. Those of use fortunately enough to have seen the Sierra over a 30, 40, or 50 year span can attest to change. In the early 70's the route over Knapsack Pass after crossing Bishop Pass was featured in Sierra South and was almost a trail. Whether global warming or no longer in the guide book it is overgrown, but the SHR route through the lower Dusy Basin Lakes is quite well trammeled.

Still, when you experience this:
We are reassured that all can be right.

"These are the places the High Sierra wilderness takes you, a place somewhere beyond the confines
of the contemporary world to a place you see, hear, touch, and feel the deepest recesses of being."

You've put me in a good place.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks, Steve.

wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

What a wonderful and thoughtful trip report and beautiful photos! I can connect with your melancholy mood when contemplating the limitations of aging. At 69, I simply cannot do as much as I did in my 20s, 30s, 40s, and even 50s. Thankfully, I still have good balance and a good measure of endurance, so I feel confident to tackle the same types of terrain and routes as before - I just take longer, and therefore cannot go as far! The Sierra is so vast and full of so many hidden treasures that no one could ever see and experience them all. Still, it is sad to realize that some of the most wonderful places, long dreamed of, are now out of reach. I have found myself drawn more to revisit favorites of old, especially places not too far or difficult to reach!

Don't give up on heading cross-country to find that sense of remoteness and solitude. There are many places with easy cross-country routes. For example, you could still reach lake 11,200 in the Tablelands from the west side on class 1 cross-country hiking, via Alta Meadow and Moose Lake, or via Pear Lake and Table Meadows. There are also many easy routes in the Cathedral Range of Yosemite. I spent 5 days going cross-country there this summer in complete solitude - but only a few miles from well-traveled trails. Some of the trailless canyons in northern Yosemite also have easy hiking in beautiful meadowy high country - but they can be a long way from the trailhead!

-Phil

P.S. Sad to hear of Phil Arnot's death. After buying and reading so many Sierra trail guides that were rather dry sets of directions, Arnot's guide was the most inspirational and captured the true feeling of the wilderness.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks, Phil. The Cathedral Range and McClure, Ireland, and Townsley Lake is one of the trips I am considering doing. Did you ever put up a trip report from your trip last summer? I tried looking for it and couldn't find it.

I know what you mean about revisiting old places since I've also been drawn to them, which is why I did the Palisade Basin trip. I also want to get back to Garnet/Thousand Island since I was last there for my 50th birthday in 2001. I figure if I just camp on the far side of the lakes, I'll be able to get away from the crowds (at least we were able to back in 2001). I had a permit for going there last year, but I had to cancel due to doctors insisting on one of those annoying/awful 24 hour heart monitors for the entire month of July.

sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Laurence -
Thanks for your detailed and heartfelt trip report that shows your love for the Sierra.
It's sad when aging comes between us and the wilderness experience.
Bill