Intermittent ADT

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Intermittent ADT

Post by sekihiker »

Well, John -
The key to handling ADT in my experience is to remain as physically active as possible. In addition to walking four to five miles a day, I am doing 100 to 125 pushups. Many oncologists online recommend weight training. I may start doing that next year.
Based on what you have said about your physical conditioning in your recent reports, you should be able to maintain muscle mass with your workouts. That turns out to be the major problem while on ADT. Without testosterone, the muscles fade away unless you exercise.
Many men who are on ADT have really never been athletic and it must be difficult for them to get the treatment and not gain weight and lose a lot of muscles. I think athletes have an easier time getting through the treatment.
I am on total androgen blockade Lupron/Abiratarone and Xgeva. Side effects for all three drugs - FATIGUE!
The fatigue is still tough but, as I mentioned earlier, I am getting used to the fatigue and the brain fog is almost gone. I never would have guessed how important testosterone is to overall health and well-being. Even my skin has been affected. There appears to be a good side effect - nose and ear hair growth isn't as bad as it used to be.
I wish you the best and hope your biochemical recurrence can be controlled.
I had good news from my oncologist at my last visit. He told me I may not die of cancer after all.
This was after he found out that my grandfathers had died of cardiovascular disease. (lol)
Bill
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the tips. I do intend to continue working out at a high level and perhaps ratchet stuff up a bit on the strength training end. Before the pandemic I regularly lifted weights in the Fresno State gym but I have not returned to the gym since it reopened. I may get more weights to put together a set up at home. During my Hayward years (1990-2005) I had everything I needed at home but we got rid of the benches, bars, and weight when we moved to Fresno.

Anyhow best wishes for many more hiking seasons and a fine one in 2022!

Cheers,

John
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Good luck to you both. I'm sure you will figure out the best course of action and hit this disease head on. I guess all us aged guys need to get checked out for health risks. We're all thinking good thoughts for you Bill and John.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts, Ian.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks Ian for your thoughts.

Best holiday wishes for everyone.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Good luck to you both. I'm sure you will figure out the best course of action and hit this disease head on. I guess all us aged guys need to get checked out for health risks. We're all thinking good thoughts for you Bill and John.
:nod: I hope to enjoy trip reports from both of you in 2022.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I'm off ADT until my PSA rises. I hope to be able to do more botany research in the Dinkey Lakes area.
How rapidly I recover from this difficult round of treatment is anyone's guess.
I'm looking forward to the recovery and hopefully some good hikes this summer.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

All the best Bill. We are all pulling for you to fully recover, and get back to the Sierra you know and love so well. Great Luck, Ian and Lizzie, and all the rest.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the encouraging words, Ian.
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Bill,

The comeback is always stronger than the setback. Wishing you an enjoyable season in the Sierras.

Jim