New Snow!

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

New Snow!

Post by Harlen »

I just got the following message from the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center:
It looks like this Atmospheric River storm is going to come in wet and heavy, with snow levels potentially starting as high as ~10,000', but likely lowering to ~6,000' sometime Monday. This could mean FEET of snow up high, but possibly only inches down low, all depending on how fast the storm cools off. This is a great setup for an early season storm to fill in the nooks and crannies with a nice pasty Sierra Cement, unlike last year’s first storms which left fairly treacherous conditions with light snow on-top of rocks. Winds are forecasted to be extreme, which will result in much greater accumulations in leeward areas, and the formation of dangerous wind slabs.
Looks like some good news for the future of the snowpack, with a nice, solid base forming. Last year we had icy crust, hoar crystal ball-bearings!

Good luck out there.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: New Snow!

Post by rlown »

I'm looking at 4" puddles all over the property, constant hard rain, huge wind and all the vernal ponds are full. Can't convince Simba to go out side without treats. Just waiting for the eucalyptus trees to fall.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Most of it will hit as rain, so only the highest peaks get to really grow their snow pack.

However, it's probably the best possible time to have a huge rain event. Reservoirs are at their lowest, and I don't really want snow to sit around and facet or form melt-freeze crusts while we wait for the next storm in December.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I have about 3"-4" of super wet heavy snow at my house at 6400', with more coming down now.
That could change to rain later today though. But then back to snow.

Highway 50 is closed due to rock slide on Echo Summit:
https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/ ... tusd-open/
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Snow levels dropped way faster & lower than anticipated in Truckee! Apparently even Reno got a dusting. Further south, it's still raining in Mammoth, so pretty variable on who got what. Hopefully this puts an end to fire season!
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

sentinel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Snow. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org