Desolation Wilderness in late October?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markmid
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Desolation Wilderness in late October?

Post by markmid »

My wife and I are contemplating a 3-4 day backpacking trip at the end of this month. My wife is Level 2; I am Level 3; we live in the Bay Area. I like lakes and open vistas. It should be a hike with *fairly* easygoing terrain. I'm looking at Loon Lake (6378') to Buck Island Lake (6421') or Camper Flat (7180'). I've done backpacking trips in the Sierra in September before, but never in October. Does anyone have any insight into how likely snow is at the end of October? I realize that the answer will be "it depends on the year", but I'm looking for a likelihood: promising, 50/50 chance, forget about it!... that sort of thing.

Also, I gather that Loon Lake Campground closes in mid-October. So we'd need to either drive from the Bay Area and get on the trail the same day or find somewhere else to camp the night before starting the hike, right?

Thanks.
Mark
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Desolation Wilderness in late October?

Post by rlown »

Best way to plan an October trip is to look at the weather the day before you go and make the call.
I used to hunt up there in late November and we had snow, but not enough to keep us from getting out on the road.
We did that twice and almost didn't get out on the second trip as I spun the Impala on the slick roads.
It'll be cold.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

rlown wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:22 am Best way to plan an October trip is to look at the weather the day before you go and make the call.
This is the first step. Plan last minute, there's usually good weather within a 3-4 hr drive. Carry chains & a shovel just in case.

Plus I'd think at the end of October, there'd be better places to go. Fall color is lower in elevation (probably around Yosemite Valley, Tehipite Valley, 4000'-ish elevation) around Halloween, and you wouldn't have to pack as much warm clothing for a lower elevation goal. Course, at that elevation you're not really in the land of lakes anymore. If you really don't find other landscapes (beaches, river canyons, deserts) compelling, I guess you gotta go where you like.

Pack something to entertain yourself with during the dark hours too. Darkness from 7am to 6:30pm is a drag.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The trails from Loon Lake may not be that great late Oct this year because water flow will be low due to the drought. The river is the main attraction on that hike and is much better early season. Also check if the Caldor fire had any impact on where you want to go.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:47 pm Also check if the Caldor fire had any impact on where you want to go.
Oh right! Caldor fire closure area encompasses a huge chunk of Desolation, including Lake Aloha & Pyramid Peak. See here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 957250.pdf
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Most of the lakes out of Wright's Lake (including Wright's Lake itself are part of that fire closure. The first lake (from the south) that is open is Lois Lake--and that's on the east side of the Crystal Range. But all of that is well south of Loon Lake or Buck Island Lake. Fire closure shouldn't be an issue for your destinations...but weather could be.

Check the weather report--and remember that you will have far fewer hours of sunlight than in the summer. That's either a lot of time in the tent, or a lot of time in the dark outside the tent...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I thought I read that when the Forest opened, it was day-use only. Check if that has changed.

Just found this. I think it means no overnight backpacking on the "forest" meaning all El Dorado forest, not just the Caldor evacuation areas.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 961508.pdf
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Yes, this Eldorado Forest order says "no camping" on the forest through November 30 - day use only:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 957209.pdf
And this order says all fires of any kind, including camp stoves, are prohibited through November 30:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 957208.pdf
On the other hand, recreation.gov says that Desolation Wilderness is closed through October 20, but they are accepting reservations for wilderness permits starting October 21. So best to call the Forest to find out if you will be able to backpack out of Loon Lake.
-Phil
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted

Post by tahoefoothills »

It can be done. Three years ago a backpacking friend and I did North Lake to South Lake (Evolution Valley, etc.) on a three-day trip where we exited on Halloween day. Yes, it was very cold at night, but the days were spectacular. We saw one other person on the last day who said he was hiking to the Muir Hut. We knew what the weather conditions were going to be and we went for it. I've also done other trips in October.
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

I know that area pretty well (Loon Lake trail out to Buck Island and Rockbound lakes). I'd feel pretty bullish about being able to pull of a late October trip. I've been day hiking up there well into November with sunny skies and good air temps. It will be cold at night, and yes, long nights...but you will likely have the joint to yourself.

As far as camping the night before, even if the developed campground is closed, there is extensive dispersed camping on the northwest edge of Loon Lake (mainly serving folks going out on the Rubicon jeep trail). Plenty of flat spots to camp, and right by the water, too. No water or restrooms.

Or, there are some nice camp spots right of the trail within the first two miles of the trailhead.

For shoulder season camping you will want to follow the weather closely up to your departure date, and be ready to bail at a moments notice. The walk in and out of Rockbound is pretty easy, so the likelihood of getting stuck is rather small, IMO.

Oh, one other idea is camping at the Loon Lake boat=in camping area (aka Pleasant Lake) along the far eastern shore of Loon Lake. That is about a 3-mile walk from the parking lot, and it is in the NF, so no permits needed. There are a number of primitive campsites, some of which have quite nice camp furniture (including an Adirondack-style chair made of granite). Only downside is the sites are in the trees, so they won't really get much morning light, although you can walk out to the lake for full exposure.