Knapp Cabin

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Knapp Cabin

Post by mort »

In the last KNP fire update this was mentioned, "the historic cabin in Redwood Mountain Grove was destroyed by fire on October 4,2021."
I think that was the Knapp cabin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knapp_Cabin 96 years old.
Knapp.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Knapp Cabin

Post by Shawn »

I've never been to Knapps cabin, but I thought it was just off the highway in Cedar Grove (which so far is outside of the fire perimeter)? Really a bummer if Knapps was destroyed. There are a couple of old structures on the ridge along redwood mountain (grove) which would be toast for sure by now.

What really ticks me off though is the information withheld about the Oriole Lake area. I've been watching flight radar and caltopo fire activity maps since the origin of the fire and watched the fire slowly but surely marching to Oriole Lake and now Mineral King. On many days the smoke keeps fire fighting aircraft grounded, but when they have been flying there has been little to no support to the S/E flank of the fire.

[press release] "in the early days of the fire, two structures in Oriole Lake were damaged or destroyed. Despite clearing of vegetation, water drops and structure wrap, the historic cabin in Redwood Mountain Grove was destroyed by fire on October 4, 2021." Everyday and many nights there are aircraft flying to survey the fire activity. Most of this kind of damage would be known on a daily basis, perhaps they just filed it away figuring no one cares too much about it.

The structures at Oriole Lake have (had?) a historical significance. The USFS has been transitioning the area to "wilderness" for years now, awaiting for the privately held properties to be released before it could be fully transitioned. If everything burned, it'll soon be a wilderness area.

Here are a couple of photos I snapped of a the old hunting lodge at Oriole Lake some years ago. Just walking thru the area was a walk back in time. It is really a shame to see these pieces of history go after so many years.

lodge sm.jpg
IMG_0635.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.