Carrying your bear can...

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Carrying your bear can...

Post by rlown »

Bearikades have a small lip on them at each end from the aluminum top and bottom attachments. Normal web straps when cinched can't fall off. My friend carried his outside his pack and it never fell off. He did more damage to the poor can by putting it on a small rock that punctured the bottom with a small hole.
Wild Ideas fixed it for 20 buxx. I do get the small frame issue, WD. But, I'm 6' 2" and my packs are large enough to put the can in horizontally. Generally towards the bottom. Old Tioga pack had a lower compartment for that. The Catalyst pack would mean I have to unpack to get to the can.
Mtncaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Carrying your bear can...

Post by Mtncaddis »

I cary an older Osprey Exos and the Bearikade Expedition fits well vertically at the bottom of the pack with clothes and sleep pad stuffed around it. Tent and sleep kit go on top of canister and all is enclosed inside the pack away from the elements. I love my bear can but no matter how hard I push I just can't get a bear to fit inside of it :-)