Trip advise , help finding a 6 night trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Trip advise , help finding a 6 night trip

Post by justm »

Hi, My friend and I would like to do a 6 night backpacking trip. We have 2 cars , so we can do a shuttle trip.We're both level 4 experienced backpackers, that being said, we'll have my friends dog with us, so would like trails and passes that don't involve hand climbing. We'll be coming from the bay area. Looking for something on the 395 fw or even on the western side , that wasn't all burned last year.

Thank you !!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip advise , help finding a 6 night trip

Post by Harlen »

Hey justm,

I'll bite, since I love planning trips about as much as hiking them. We have dogs, so have a few leads on the dog-friendly areas. This summer we really enjoyed our time circling in and around Bear Basin, French Canyon, and Granite Park. An easy short shuttle could be placing cars at the North Lake TH, and the second car at either Pine Creek TH, or the "Little Lakes Valley," / Rock Creek TH, called "Mosquito Flat." The first 2 TH's are west, and south-west of Bishop, and "M.F." TH is south of Mammoth Lakes. *I hope you have 7 days to go with your 6 nights.

So, out of many possible routes between these places, I'll recommend these 2:

1. [Arduous] Hike from North Lake over Lamarck Col, into Darwin Bench, over Alpine Col... high up through Humphreys Basin, and over Puppet or Steelhead Col into French Canyon. (You can make it to F.C. in 2 or 3 days) From FC you can head down to Merriam Lake (beautiful spot!), and over either LaSalle Pass, or Feather Pass, or Ruskie Pass, or "West Feather Pass," all leading into the wonderful Bear Basin. (2 days from FC)
Your 6th (7th?) and final day would be over into Granite Park via either Dancing Bear and Italy Passes, or "Granite-Bear Pass." (Is your dog hardy? I've done many of these passes with dogs.) Long downhill hike out to Pine Creek TH. If you make some miles on some of these days, you could have at 2-day camp in one of these areas.

2. [Less Arduous, more diverse habitats, easier on the dog] From North Lake TH, hike over the easy Piute Pass (5 mi.), and into H.Basin. Over Puppet, or Steelhead Pass to FC. Head into Granite Park via either Pine Creek Pass, or the saddle due east of the upper Royce Lake-- more impressive, but also more bouldery. From GP, you can head over Italy Pass, down to Italy Lake, and north over "Gabbot Pass." Down through the "Second Recess" canyon, and then up Mono Creek (this stretch includes very fine forest trails) and around to Mono Pass. Down from Mono to your car at the Rock Cr. TH at "Mosquito Flat."

I think both of these options have spectacular scenery, and #2 has good opportunities for wildlife sightings. There are even wilder variations, but better if you guys had a couple more days to make those. We don't mind trips like these where you change camp each day, but if you prefer to have a few basecamp and day hiking/fishing days, then you can say that, and some others of this helpful HST clan will surely provide trip options for that kind of trip. Have a great trip, and tell us how it went, Ian and Lizzie and Bearzy.

A few pics:
100_5191.JPG
French Canyon looking west.

100_5313.JPG
Merriam Lake.

gemini trip 117.jpg
Bear Basin.

100_5645.JPG
Looking SW at Dancing Bear Pass from near Italy Pass.

100_3542.jpg
Summit Lake on Mono Pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip advise , help finding a 6 night trip

Post by justm »

Thanks for those beautiful pics !! Great dogs !!