Graveyard to Anne Lake XC?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AidanDawn2000
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Graveyard to Anne Lake XC?

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

I know Graveyard to Peter Pandre over “Silver Fox Pass” is well documented on here but I was wondering if anyone has tried the saddle to the west of that? I couldn’t dig up any reports with the search.
C9E5DCC2-6811-4910-9932-A563DA3C24E2.jpeg
I have done some off trail mileage in Emigrant and more steep/challenging mountain scrambles around Death Valley area. I love the element of adversity and achievement that picking your own path between regular trails brings. Still low on experience next to most of you but looking to get more.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Graveyard to Anne Lake XC?

Post by giantbrookie »

I've done both passes and they are comparable. Both are fairly easy class 2 talus. The only issues come if one is trying them early season after a heavy winter--in those conditions steep snow drapes the north sides. This isn't a problem for 2021.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AidanDawn2000
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

giantbrookie wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:45 pm I've done both passes and they are comparable. Both are fairly easy class 2 talus. The only issues come if one is trying them early season after a heavy winter--in those conditions steep snow drapes the north sides. This isn't a problem for 2021.
Thanks! I figured there wouldn’t be any snow left by now considering how dry this year is but an early season cornice does sound like something to watch out for here.

I’ve spent a good amount of time doing “virtual hiking” on google earth and it looked ok on there but wanted a first hand confirmation that I wasn’t going to get thwarted by unavoidable cliffs.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Ummmmmmmmm...I looked over that in May of 2014 and if my very dubious memory serves it appeared to be overly steep especially compared to "Silver Fox" - which I have done numerous times. However, it was snowy and a longish time ago so don't hold me to being very sure. Maybe just be prepared for a surprise...or some "Don't Look Down" moments!

Best ~ Michaelzim
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

I went over this pass in September 2010 (no cornice, of course). I don't recall it being steeper than your typical class 2 talus pass. No unavoidable cliffs. We returned to the Graveyards by crossing back over the Silver Divide via the shoulder east of peak 11,347. That provides an interesting alternative to Silver Fox if your route eventually takes you more toward Wilbur May and you want to get back to the Graveyards without going around to Goodale Pass.
giantbrookie
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Just to add in a bit of detail, I did both passes in 1985 when they were snow free: I went in over Silver Fox then wrapped around Peter Pande to get to the place we base camped in the basin, which was in fact Anne Lake. On the day out we left Anne Lake and climbed back to the Graveyards directly via the western pass. Both were class 2 talus and this was fairly nice firm talus. It is worth noting that the hiker I took with me in 1985, who had no problem with those passes, was what one might term an "average" backcountry hiker in contrast to my wife Judy and daughter Dawn who are serious mountain goats.

I crossed Silver Fox with Judy in 1995 and it was a much different beast as its north side was corniced and there was an intimidating headwall of super steep snow-ice between the cornices, leading to two of the more frightening moments I've had in all of my decades of backpacking. Going northward I reminded Judy that, given the steepness, she should face the slope and kick in with her crampon front points. Saying "I know what I'm doing, don't tell me what to do" she faced outward took one step and down she went in a white blur. I was scared stiff because there were vanishing points below. She stopped before she reached the first one and I did a controlled fall to corral all the clothing and gear that was strewn all down the slope. The return two days later was scarier because enough snow had melted that a lot more threatening rocks stuck out of the snow. A fall would have a higher chance of serious injury or fatality. It was at this point that I found that my crampons didn't fit my boots (hadn't had time to put them on descending because Judy fell before I had a chance), so I couldn't use them. It turned out that there was hard ice below a very thin veneer of snow, so the steps I kicked were precarious and very shallow. I was leading and Judy remarked that my butt was directly above her head (because the headwall was so steep), so that I'd better not fall. My heart was beating mighty fast when I topped out and slithered on my belly away from the edge. But that is with snow, which you won't encounter this year.

Anyhow without the snow, these passes are easy. The western one has a slightly higher average slope angle on its northern side than Silver Fox, according to the topo, and the height of the steep section is also a bit higher than Silver Fox, but it is still class 2 talus, with a just a smidge of steering around some steep slabs. Unlike some passes where the easiest place of crossing is not the low point, this one is indeed best at its lowest point with the axis of the broad gully to the north being the best line of ascent and descent. This can be seen looking at the Google imagery.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;