Parking for Atwell-Hockett trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mbazeley
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Parking for Atwell-Hockett trail

Post by mbazeley »

Hi folks,

New member looking for a little info. I'm headed up to Hockett Meadow this coming weekend via the Atwell-Hockett trail. Where does one park at the trailhead? I see this morning that the Atwell Mill campground, at the trailhead, is closed for the year. Help?

Also, if anyone knows the water situation at the meadow...

Thanks much,

Michael
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Parking for Atwell-Hockett trail

Post by Shawn »

I usually just zip by there, have never hiked the trail. Maybe someone else will have more info.
hockett th.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbazeley
Topix Newbie

Post by mbazeley »

Park Service said there was parking. But...possibly zero water in the meadow. Re-evaluating my plans, sadly.
mbazeley
Topix Newbie

Post by mbazeley »

Probably not going after all, unfortunately. The park service suggested there might be no water, and I can’t really risk hiking in 10 miles to an empty Horse Creek. I thought of going to nearby Hockett Lakes, but I believe that area is fire-scarred.

It’s disappointing because this was the first place I ever backpacked as a kid and wanted to revisit. But nature has other plans. Pivoting over to a part of Yosemite backcountry I’ve never been to.

But thanks for the parking info. Maybe useful next year.