Mineral King to Lower Kern River

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
punchcard
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Mineral King to Lower Kern River

Post by punchcard »

I'm trying to put together a loop from Mineral King to go East / South East to the Lower Kern and then head up to the hot springs and back via the High Sierra Trail. All I see in that area is Coyote Pass Trail which seems to be overgrown, thorny and not much fun. Are there any routes I'm missing? Will be with my wife who is not an avid backpacker so not looking for off trail unless its very manageable.

Thank you!
gregw822
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mineral King to Lower Kern River

Post by gregw822 »

I've done several trips out of MK, but not all the way to the river. I haven't read anything good or encouraging about Coyote Creek to Farewell Gap. Fishing the Kern is high on my list, and when I get to it (maybe next summer) I'll probably go Sawtooth and Lost Canyon one way and Franklin and Rattlesnake Creek the other.
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by kursavwilage »

I did Franklin Pass down Rattlesnake Creek to the Kern, Then up to the hot springs. It's all good trail. From Franklin Lake it took us 2 days to the hot springs but, we weren't moving super fast. Our second night we camped lower in Rattlesnake creek just before it starts to drop into the Kern. Back in 1986, when I was a lot younger we went from Mineral King over Franklin Pass to Forrester Lake in 1 day . It was a long day. That could be a stopping point before going down Rattlesnake. The Forest Service overlay on Cal Topo shows the trail in Rattlesnake.
punchcard
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by punchcard »

@kursavwilage Thanks - I see the trail now.. Appreciate the information.