Rock Creek Mono Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Rock Creek Mono Pass

Post by SSSdave »

Mosquito Flat trail over Mono Pass July 14>18. Significant amount of smelly horse apples. No water from Ruby Lake junction to Summit Lake except a single small snow patch near summit soon to melt. Few mosquitoes but lots of aggressive flies. Although many areas were near what would be peak greenery and wildflowers for this summer, there is a general dry look to much of the landscape and wildflowers even in wetter areas show the stunting effects of a dry winter followed by a dry late spring. There is little snow left anywhere so landscapes are not as aesthetic as one normally sees at this phase of summer. Due to weeks of south to southwest air flow across the range pushing polluted stagnant San Joaquin Valley air in the mountain canyons, the general mountain air clarity was hazy.

Unless significant monsoon events occurs, as a serious photographer, I personally won't return to the southern Sierra areas this summer.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Rock Creek Mono Pass

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks for the report, Dave. That's a beautiful area that I would like to re-visit
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Dave,
That's depressing news. On the other hand, it's all relative and as a southern CA denizen, the air quality has to be somewhat better up there than down here. I hope? But for photos, I get it. My wife and I were impressed at how quickly the snow vanished during the 11 days between our entry & exit at Pine Creek. Well, the Mammoth/Bishop webcams looked stormy yesterday, so maybe that helped with the Dexter fire and general particulates? I'd love to get back up there, soon! Cameron
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Some sitings:
white-tailed jackrabbit (Lepus townsendii), 2 above Trail Lake at 11.4k
Douglas' squirrel aka chickaree, (Tamiasciurus douglasii), a few along Golden Creek 10.6k
alpine chipmunk (Neotamias alpinus) abundant in timberline, especially below Ruby Lake
Long-tailed weasel, (Neogale frenata), 2 below Ruby Lake
golden trout ( Oncorhynchus aguabonita ), ~7 inches Golden Creek at 10.6k

TI08367y.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

It's thunderstorming like crazy in Mammoth today. I'm headed up to Pioneer Basin tomorrow. Hopefully this will have cleared some of the air, and hopefully I won't get caught in too much storm activity!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Yep. We got thunder and rain at 4,000 feet above Sonora...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Hey @SSSdave I'm not sure I'd write off the southern Sierra just yet. Haven't processed my "real" camera photos yet but from my phone a couple days ago:
IMG_0791.jpg
IMG_0634.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

DDave writes:
Significant amount of smelly horse apples.
I too often take a handful of apples for the first day or two. Though they do get a bit soft, I've never noticed any "smell." We usually choose "Fuji apples," or "Braeburns" -- I'm don't know these "Horse apples" of yours Dave, but I hope you still ate them.
We look forward to your photos.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Expecting to see apple trees sprouting up along that trail by my next trip over the pass so we folks won't need to bother packing any in our canisters.

A 9400x3800 pixel horizontal stitch with focus stacking at 8am PDT downsized here for web to 2000x809. Sony A6000 Sigma 56mm F1.4 at F5.0. Wind direction had changed from the west and southwest to south-southeast as the forecast monsoon air mass began moving into the Sierra. [Not a fan of the dated forum sizing software that doesn't understand native image pixels and instead magnifies images to fit window sizes.]

Am about done with post processing so will work on my site's html coding today.

(mouse select to enlarge)
TI08612-08621-2x1hy.jpg
A few 100% pixels crops from above image showing image detail.

(mouse select to enlarge)
TI08612-08621-2x1h-cr2.jpg
tommyroland
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by tommyroland »

Common Problems And Solutions While Using A Juicer

You own a juicer, but the machine is often stuck, causing many difficulties for you. Here are some common mistakes people make when using a juicer and some solutions from the top reviews. Let's check them out together.

See Page: Thekinglive.com

1. Frequent Mistakes

● The machine does not work after it is plugged in

A unique feature of juicers is the safety lock system. That means it will not be operated until you install it correctly. Remember to check and follow the instructions to avoid problems.

● The machine does not work like the original capacity

There are many reasons for this situation; maybe you have not used it properly and did not preserve it properly during the process of use. To make the machine more efficient, you should use it according to the instructions, like cutting or peeling crunchy fruits before applying pressure or cleaning the device after each use.

● The machine stopped working suddenly

Your juicer might work continuously for too long, causing the motor to heat up and automatically disconnect the power. To limit this error, you should stop once every 30 minutes to let the machine rest for about 15 minutes and turn the engine back on.

In addition to the above causes, a stuck blade is also a factor that makes your device suddenly stop working. That is the reason why you need to chop up the ingredients before putting them in the machine.

● The machine presses out water slowly or without water

Putting in too many ingredients to squeeze at the same time will quickly lead to this phenomenon because the sieve and filter system will not be able to control the amount of food you put in. Besides, you may have used hard-to-filter food. If you encounter this problem, turn off the machine, check the filter, and clean it.

● The machine is rusted

During the long-term use, the outer cover sometimes rusts, especially the blade, which will be very dangerous for consumers because impurities will harm their health. Therefore, please pay attention to the material and the reliable brand of the machines when buying. However, you can overcome this situation by always cleaning the machine and storing it in a dry place.

Read The Article: Best Consumer Products - Top List Of Product Reviewed on TheKingLive.com

2. General notes

Do not force too-soft or too-hard fruits. Choosing the appropriate fruit depends on the characteristics of each machine.

After using, you need to clean the filter net, the blade, and the pulp tray to ensure the durability of the machine.

To reduce the possibility of having a jammed juicer, you should cut most types of fruit before putting them in the machine.

After buying the right machine, make sure that you install the device according to the instruction manual of the supplier.

Limit continuous use for a long time. If you need to squeeze lots of fruit, give it a break between grinding times. This rest time will ensure the smooth operation of the machine and prevent the motor of the device from overheating.

Useful Reference: Best Product Reviews - Best Reviews Guide On TheKingLive

3. Conclusion

The above article has provided you with information about common mistakes when using a juicer and how to overcome each issue. You can apply these methods when encountering common errors to be able to use the machine more efficiently. If you are looking for the best of products, remember to pay attention to reliable brands which you can find on the lists of Amazon products
Last edited by tommyroland on Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.