Desolation Wilderness - Ropi Lake area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
moonburn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Desolation Wilderness - Ropi Lake area

Post by moonburn »

Howdy folks,

I'm visiting Ropi Lake for two nights next weekend (Zone 44), and I wonder if anyone has campsite recommendations or generally fun areas to point me toward. First time in this particular corner of Desolation Wilderness, and I'd prefer a less wooded site (to avoid mosquitoes and have better viewing of the full moon). Should I go beyond Ropi to find interesting camping at Toem, Gefo, or Osma?

For daytime fun, I'm hoping to descend to Horsetail Falls, as well as do some swimming and packrafting (will be taking this raft https://klymit.com/products/litewater-dinghy). Happy to do my own exploring, but always appreciate hearing about what others have discovered.
Hiker_Sweeney
Topix Novice

Re: Desolation Wilderness - Ropi Lake area

Post by Hiker_Sweeney »

Hi Moonburn!

I will actually be up at Ropi Lake that same weekend. We will be spending Friday (7/23) and Saturday there (7/24). I have been there 3 times now and it is probably my favorite area in Desolation! We were planning on setting up camp on the south side of the lake because we have a bigger group of 8 (I think you might be the only other person with a permit!), but I have been there with a smaller group and set up camp on the northeastern side and there is a very nice flat area to set up 2-3 tents there.

In the attached image, we will likely be staying at the "number 1' (we did a couples trip there last year around this time which is why it's named that haha), and I would recommend that you check out either #2 or #3 -- I have camped at both spots and they are delightful. #2 is very cool! Hope to see you there and feel free to come on by - my name is Colin!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hiker_Sweeney
Topix Novice

Post by Hiker_Sweeney »

Also -- hopefully this Tamarack fire will allow us to make the trip
moonburn
Topix Novice

Post by moonburn »

Thanks so much for the info and invitation, @Hiker_Sweeney! Sites 2 & 3 could work out great for my group of three, and maybe I'll paddle over and say hello (IRL name is Chris)

Yes, let's keep fingers crossed that the Tamarack Fire gets some measure of containment. Don't forget to pack your N95!