Walk-in/fcfs camping at Agnew Meadows, yes or no?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cantare
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Walk-in/fcfs camping at Agnew Meadows, yes or no?

Post by cantare »

Probably a dumb question, and all the more so because I just did a hike out of there, though I camped elsewhere...but: Is there FCFS tent camping at Agnew Meadows?

Inyo NF site clearly says there is ("No reservations for standard campsites, self register for site on arrival, first-come, first-served.") Person (a ranger?) on phone at Mammoth permit office just told my friend there isn't any walk-in camping there. The only things reservable on rec.gov are a handful of Group and Horse sites, which I know are separate. So if you have to book standard sites in advance, I don't know how you do it.

I already know all about the shuttle 7a-7p deal, but this is confusing me; wish I'd looked when I was there. It wouldn't be the first time someone answering the phone at a ranger station has given me incorrect info. I'd like to know for sure either way. Anyone know about these sites from recent first-hand experience?
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Walk-in/fcfs camping at Agnew Meadows, yes or no?

Post by shawnterustic »

I was just up there a few weekends ago, and there were plenty of available walk-up sites at Agnew Meadows CG - maybe the permit person thought your friend was asking about the Agnew Meadows Group CG? Mysteries!
cantare
Topix Acquainted

Post by cantare »

Thanks, I appreciate the report. I think agencies sometimes get tripped up by these distinctions--many popular destinations have multiple categories of campsite (or even separate campgrounds) with different policies. And then you have a lot of potentially outdated info online. Many of the websites that mention this campground still have it "closed" from some decade-old wind event, and of course closures from fires and COVID generate more potential confusion.
sukhoi_584th
Topix Acquainted

Post by sukhoi_584th »

I haven't been impressed with the phone people at Inyo. Last year when calling to get my permit the person didn't know what Lamarck Col was. I was like you have to be kidding me.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted

Post by narc1370 »

I left From Agnew on Wednesday morning and returned on Saturday around 10am and the campground was full both times. The shuttle was more convenient, especially getting on the bus to go out and having it to yourself. Otherwise those poor souls on the bus would have to smell me!