Intel/advice Pioneer Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Intel/advice Pioneer Basin

Post by Love the Sierra »

I also went to Golden in May. I was slogging through snow and a lot of that off trail, but that is hard first day is destination and only a little closer than Pioneer. (Again, remember I was going through snow so much harder so it may not be as strenuous on dry trail.) The way up is lush and beautiful! It is totally barren around the lake, and you will not find sheltered camping. If you do go there, the maps show the trail on the south side. IT IS NOT! It is on the north until you are almost at the top and then crosses over to the south. Cal Topo shows it correctly. I also have a trip report from that May trip.
BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan »

"3) From what I have read here, lake 10862 seems to be the premier camping destination. But is there any cover up in Pioneer Basin? I worry about a trip that is 10-15 degrees hotter than normal."

I've always camped just north of Lake 10862, and as I recall, the whitebark is very stunted there.

The trees are quite a bit taller at the lake east of there (about 10,910) and I recall seeing a nice campsite on the northeast side of that lake. I also recall that the views from there aren't great given the small hump just south of that lake. But it's a very nice and quiet lake.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I am grateful for all the thoughtful advice and the links to the excellent trip reports. Has given me a lot of clues for the coming trip. I will look forward to posting my own report upon return!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just went down Hopkins drainage from Hopkins pass. I was not that impressed with it. You would be better off staying in Pioneer Basin and do more fishing and exploring there and the area around Golden Lake and Trail Lake. Years ago I day-hiked up to Third Recess Lake- it is a hardy hike but there was fair fishing.