Intel/advice Pioneer Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Intel/advice Pioneer Basin

Post by kpeter »

I leave with my daughter for my first trip to Pioneer Basin on Monday. A few questions:
1) Is Summit Lake a reliable water source? During the drought, am trying to figure out how much water to carry in on the first day.
2) We won't make it into Pioneer Basin on the first day. On a hot, dry day where would you camp the first night in? Should I head down to Mono Creek for a shady camp?
3) From what I have read here, lake 10862 seems to be the premier camping destination. But is there any cover up in Pioneer Basin? I worry about a trip that is 10-15 degrees hotter than normal.
4) On a day hike, would you prioritize Hopkins Creek or Third Recess to explore?
5) Is there good access to Golden Lake from both the inlet and outlet ends, and how easy is it to get around it? the Map Builder Overlay on CalTopo only shows an access trail coming up the outlet.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Intel/advice Pioneer Basin

Post by balzaccom »

1. Yes
2. Trail Lakes has a few sites. Fourth Recess is a better option, with a view of the cascade
3. There are some smaller trees in Pioneer Basin. Beware of T-Storms, though.
4. Don't know
5. Easy access to the outlet along the trail that follows the outlet creek. I have not hiked down from above.
6. Have fun
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

4. I haven't hiked Hopkins Creek but I really enjoyed 3rd Recess Lake. Not a lot to see but it was very pretty and a little larger trout. It also seemed remote and less traveled.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Since it is Monday now you must be referring to the following week? Two of us are hiking in this week to semi base camp a week. In order to understand where trees are for cover in PB use Google Earth. Plenty of stunted whitebark pines to get some afternoon tent shade from. Mud Lake and lower has a considerable lodgepole pine forest nearby but as one goes higher sparse timberline is wind stunted with many zones rather exposed to thunderstorm lightning. One early morning will be up on the McGee Creek divide for photography near Crocker. We will also camp down on Bear Creek a day in order to early morning hike up Third Recess.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Re: #5

There is access from above Golden Lake and I recommend it as a good stop-over on your way in or out. One caveat: you'd have to be comfortable travelling across some talus along the lake's western shore. I've attached a quick and dirty image based on memory.

If you are coming from above, just follow the gradual drainage toward the lake. You should be able to find a use trail as you come over a change in slope that leads down to the lake. The use trail has two routes: high and low. The high route will take you up above the lake on the western shore, avoiding most (but not all) of the talus. If you break to the east, another use trail will take you down the the inlet and on the eastern side of the outlet is a campsite with decent cover. Plus, a nice beach where you can take a dip.

If you decide to camp, the route along the shore to the outlet will require some talus hopping. From there, the established trail is easy to follow down to the main trial into Pioneer Basin.

I also attached a few images of the talus and view from the campsite.

Have fun!
golden-lake.jpg
golden-talus-01.jpg
golden-talus-02.jpg
golden-lake-beach.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
tyoungberg
Topix Acquainted

Post by tyoungberg »

Was at Golden Lake this weekend:

1) summit lake was low but had plenty of water to fill up in

5) we took the use trail to the inlet and it was easy to navigate from above and we climbed out the same route without issue. We camped at a similar spot as carne’s photos east of the inlet. From below it looked like the use trail to the outlet (high route Carne mentions) could have been washed out by rocks in the middle but did not explore.
Yee the haw before the haw yees you
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

We backpacked Pioneer Basin about 3 weeks ago. You can find the trip report, (I am not sure how to find and paste a link) with lots of pictures.
Summit has water but I would just hang on and fill at Trail Lake. Trail Lake and lovely camp sites and we really enjoyed the one we found. First Lake of the Pioneer Basin has very sheltered campsites in the trees South of the lake. You can get water fro camp from the creek running alongside. We cross country day hiked to all of the higher lakes of the Pioneer Basin and it was delightful! There are something like 8-10 lakes in there and there are fantastic views of 4th and third recesses. If you camp at the higher lakes, you will not be well sheltered as the trees are small and sparse.
Have fun!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

If you're comfortable with x-ctry and a little bit of easy C3, going over Half Moon Pass on the first day is reasonable and it drops you right down to Golden Lake for a great first night's campsite.

I'd be hesitant with kids if they hadn't done something like that before though, myself.
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

rlown wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:23 am this one? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21649&p=166030&hili ... in#p166030
Yup, that was us!