congestion and altitude

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: congestion and altitude

Post by shawnterustic »

@Wandering Daisy - I am so envious! I feel great during the day (it's that clear air, of course), but nighttime is always such a clog-fest!!

@frozenintime - Lucky you, science apparently already did the hard work. I only use my saline spray at night - usually a hit (um...) before bed in each nostril, then if I'm stuffy enough that it wakes me up, another puff in each.
Dwwd
Topix Acquainted

Post by Dwwd »

For many years I have suffered stuffy nose, which worsens to oozing some blood at high altitudes. Particularly in the cool down of the evenings into night my nose gets stuffy. Recently, I realized, just as my hands need lotion as I get older to keep from chapping or rough use, so do the mucus membranes of my nose that humidify the air entering my lungs. Hence, I started to use saline gel (Ayr) and a Q-tip cut in a one inch length, to swap a drop of gel on the inside of my nostrils at night. One could also do it more often daytimes. A small tube of gel lasts many days and seems to help. Saline products are safer for the lungs than petroleum gels if it accidently gets sucked inward. Secondly, I do take one Sudafed to reduce the stuffiness and help get to sleep.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

that's interesting. i imagine the gel would do a better job than the spray, though it sounds more involved to apply.
cantare
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cantare »

I get it bad. Congested at altitude, then a bloody mess afterward. Afrin and real Sudafed (pseudoephedrine, not phenylephrine) are part of my standard kit now. They mostly keep it tolerable. Nb, Afrin can cause terrible rebound congestion if used for more than 3 days, which means you can get hooked on it, and have to suffer stuffiness during withdrawal. Sudafed can be used to manage that, too, but it sucks.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Sudafed kept me clear during the four nights on my most recent trip, July 7-11. It doesn't always work as well as it did this trip.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Absolutely! Both Lizzie and I suffer this-- luckily, just when lying down at night. I used to use the nuclear fix- Afrin, and though it works almost too well, I have had that "rebound congestion" cantare warns of. Miserable business, Lizzie and I were just talking about this on our recent trip. We will try the saline spray solution. Lizzie usually takes a small bottle anyhow for lenses. (she says CVS has small spray bottles, so no need for the large size.) Thanks for this helpful post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Not that congestion seems to be an issue for me but there is a product that may be of interest to "congestioners". Here is the web link:

https://xlear.com/xlear-sinus-care/

I used to use it whenever travelling by air (especially in winter) and sitting near people who were snorting and sniveling, etc. Also when in a store or the like when a lot of flu going around and similar 'sufferers' in close proximity. Once in my car I would get the stuff out and give a couple of pump-squirts per nostril. Maybe it was placebo but it has kept me pretty free of the cruds for decades.

The atomizer thingie is of good quality (or was anyhow) so I have made my own mix with salt, warm water and some Xylitol from the natural foods store and re-used the sprayer ever since. The ingredients cost next to nothing and I just guesstimate the strength and amounts based on "taste". Seems to have worked fine and kept me pretty much crud free for the past 15 years or more.

Given the ingredients of Xlear and the efficacy of saline solution reported here, this may be a better or as good alternative in a handy, long lasting, camping competent bottle. It should be available at your local natural foods store, or many pharmacies, etc. Amazon has it of course, though I would opt for the plain version. There is lots of the usual flamboyant propaganda on the website for those who want a deeper look.

Hope this helps ~ Michaelzim
brownbat
Topix Acquainted

Post by brownbat »

Dwwd wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:46 pm For many years I have suffered stuffy nose, which worsens to oozing some blood at high altitudes. Particularly in the cool down of the evenings into night my nose gets stuffy. Recently, I realized, just as my hands need lotion as I get older to keep from chapping or rough use, so do the mucus membranes of my nose that humidify the air entering my lungs. Hence, I started to use saline gel (Ayr) and a Q-tip cut in a one inch length, to swap a drop of gel on the inside of my nostrils at night. One could also do it more often daytimes. A small tube of gel lasts many days and seems to help. Saline products are safer for the lungs than petroleum gels if it accidently gets sucked inward. Secondly, I do take one Sudafed to reduce the stuffiness and help get to sleep.
Ayr gel is the product I use as well - though I just use my finger to swab it around around and in my nostrils. This product makes a huge difference and I take it on all my trips. I am still on my first tube and have probably used it for 3+ weeks in the backcountry now. I apply at night but also started doing a second application in the morning which allows for a good handkerchief blow out :)

I do sometimes get a bloody nose from heat still (a lifelong issue I have had) but no longer get them from the dry nose in the morning.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

after 12 nights over two recent trips, i can say that 2-3 puffs of the standard saline spray certainly helps me -- a lot. highly recommended!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

High altitude mountaineers routinely run into problems when the nasal lining gets overly dried out. That leads to bloody noses. Virtually anything that you use to prevent the dryness will help, like Vaseline.