Deer lake vs. Toejam lake for a short backpacking trip?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
trentn
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Deer lake vs. Toejam lake for a short backpacking trip?

Post by trentn »

I'm new to this forum and trying to plan a 3 (possibly 4) day trip with my 16-old son in the Emigrant Wilderness for later this week. I was planning on crabtree camp--> lilly lake (day 1) -->deer lake (day 2 w/ fishing) and back (day 3) but think that's more of a haul than we want. Seems like Gianelli trail head -->chewing gum lake (day 1) -->toejam lake (day 2 w/fishing) --> return (day 3) might be a better option with the option of a day hike to leapold lake? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Deer lake vs. Toejam lake for a short backpacking trip?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Even though the old Emigrant guide book says there are fish, many of the lakes going in via Gianelli are barren. I am not sure Toejam Lake has fish.

The lake on Lilly Creek is Grouse Lake, so I am not sure what you are calling Lilly Lake. That drainage is hot and buggy - Bear Lake is a much better first night's stop and I have caught fish there. Then you could go to Deer Lake and get out on day 3. Or take a day off at Deer Lake.

For a 3 day trip, Kennedy Lake from Kennedy Meadows is easy and has good fishing. But you need to check with FS and see if they are grazing cattle yet. It is not that nice once the cows go in. Day hikes above Kennedy Lake or up Soda Creek (off trail) are both very scenic. Relief Reservoir also has some good fishing. There is a use trail down to campsites southwest of where Grouse Creek enters the reservoir. These campsites do get crowded on weekends.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I like Toejam, and Leopold, and the Gianelli start in general, but I don't know anything about the fishing.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Fishing is not great in Toejam. And I think that Lilly pad Lake is that first pond/lake after Camp Lake on the trail to Deer Lake. Not a great place to get water-- it's pretty buggy and muddy...

Grouse Lake did have fish the last time we were there..but gets hit heavily by the riders from Aspen Meadows.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
trentn
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by trentn »

Thank you all for your help! I'll look into bear and kennedy lakes otherwise we'll go for toejam and leopold and leave the fishing poles at home.