Glen Pass to Gardiner Basin Alt Rte Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Glen Pass to Gardiner Basin Alt Rte Question

Post by Fviolich »

Planning a loop trip in August - Roads End to Kern Headwater (via Milly's Footpath) to Gardiner Basin (this is the question) and back (via Gardiner Pass)- and there's a marked trail between Glen Pass and the Gardiner Basin approach that requires going through the south end of Rae Lakes and up over a pass to Sixty Lakes which I've done. It's beautiful but a truck if the goal is Gardiner. I'm planning to try Rae Col this time from the the north base of Glen straight into the south end of Sixty Lakes and up into Gardiner Basin. There is a well documented off-trail option that takes you from Rae Col to the north end of Sixty Lakes however it appears there would be a more direct east-west alternative route. Wondering if anyone has tried this (see sketch below). Many thanks!
Rae Col to Gardiner_Alt Route.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Glen Pass to Gardiner Basin Alt Rte Question

Post by maiathebee »

I went southbound over Rae Col last year. It's relatively straightforward. South side is ledges and some talus depending on how you go, North side is a little steep talus right up top but then there's an easy ramp system, head right as you descend to avoid cliffs. I went around the west side of the first (northern) of the lakes in the upper 60 lakes basin and around the east side of the second one. Here's some waypoints of how I went in case that's helpful. I don't know if Rae Col is mislabeled on this map (Gaia) or if I just went over the wrong low point.
Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 11.00.41 AM.png
Here's the north side of Rae Col
raecolN.jpg
Can't speak for the saddle you marked between Rae Col and 60 Lakes Col, but here's a photo of the basin. Your route would have you going around far left of the frame. I don't have a photo showing any more to the left, unfortunately.
60LakesFin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

2AAF0991-C08C-431A-9875-69FA54DD1F2B.jpeg
so left to right arrows rae col, furtherest back glen pass? your pass? 60 lakes col.
Hope this helps
kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted

Post by Fviolich »

Thanks for the advice and great pics Maiathebee and Gazelle. One point of clarification Maiathebee, when you say “head right as you descend to avoid the cliffs”, are you referring to your southbound route on the south side of Rae Col? Still tempted to try the “south saddle” between Rae Col and 60 Lakes, perhaps someone will pickup this thread who has done it! Either way can’t wait to get out there as we had to cancel last year. Onward!
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

I haven't been over the pass you're asking about, but if you're just trying to get into Gardiner Basin quickly from the SE, there's a report here that includes a map and a few waypoints of a route that bypasses Glen Pass entirely. I haven't been over this pass either, but at first glance it doesn't look any steeper than the Sixty Lake pass you're proposing. From what I've read Steve Eckert isn't shy about proposing sketchy short cuts so YMMV. You can see the pass (which the report above calls "Charlotte Col") on the right side of Kristine's photo.

I went over the NE Rae Col variant into Sixty Lake Basin a few weeks ago in order to avoid a little snow on the north side of the col Maia ascended. There's a steep sandy section at the top of the north side but nothing too difficult. All of the snow in the chute in the SW Rae Col variant will certainly be gone long before your trip.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

druid that looks like a great option! I have looked at that trip report as to how to go up Gardiner but forgot about that part!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted

Post by Fviolich »

Hey Druid - Thanks for the observations, photos and waypoints. Super helpful. That Charlotte Col looks like a viable alternative except maybe the side-hilling sounds a little crazy. Overall it looks doable and definitely puts me at the foot of 60 Lakes Col without having to climb the extra 1,500' over and back down Glen Pass. Been there done that.
Gazelle, your pano photo really comes to life when paired with the report that Druid linked. You can def see Charlotte Col toward the right which in that image with the snow looks like you could glissade down.
Really appreciate the collective intel guys. Frano
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

Fviolich wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:12 pm which in that image with the snow looks like you could glissade down.
There won't be any snow at all there this year.
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted

Post by Fviolich »

Sadly. More likely fire/smoke events after the dry winter.