Trip Advice: Virginia lakes to return lake 2 night backpacking trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mxoyez
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Trip Advice: Virginia lakes to return lake 2 night backpacking trip

Post by mxoyez »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:24 pm
mxoyez wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:30 pm That sounds awesome! Can I ask what class climb it is to the point?
Class 2. Perhaps you could work hard at the very top and find a Class 3 move.

Trail report: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=14888
Ok, thank you!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Advice: Virginia lakes to return lake 2 night backpacking trip

Post by giantbrookie »

I have not done your exact plan, but I've done an overnighter to Return L. (with climb of Virginia Pk) and I've done a 3-day trip to the vicinity of Miller L. from Virginia Lakes on which I camped at Summit L on the 2nd night (actual camping spot was on crest of Sierra Nevada W of the lake). Although the argument for a better camping alternative to Summit L. is a good one, there are some nice campsites on the crest W of the lake and S of the trail that are pretty unique in terms of views, when you think of it. There are not many places in the Sierra where you can camp at the crest of the range with a view to the east (down the Virginia L side) and a view to the west (into Yosemite). The rounded ridge W of Summit L. has this asset.

On the other hand, depending on how you feel and what time it is when you reach Summit L. or Virginia Canyon, the hike to Return L. is not too much further, so it isn't so far fetched to get to Return L on day 1, which gives you more dayhiking options for your layover day 2.

If you are comfortable with class 3, Virginia Pk is a beautiful summit which dominates the area and has terrific summit views. The easiest routes up Virginia Pk have very minimal class 3 if the best route is chosen. The minimal class 3 option is to work your way to the lakelet north of the peak (some class 2 gullies can be used to surmount the cliff band below this lake), then class 2 to the N ridge of Virginia which can be 100 percent class 2 if one is really finicky about steering around all small steps or you can end up with one really easy class 3 move. The visually appealing knife-slash SE chute/chimney is class 2 until you reach the upper 50+ feet where things get to moderate class 3. From the top of the chimney you can scramble up the west slope to the summit (class 2). Stanton and Twin Peaks are other peak bag options from Return L. and vicinity.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;