Tuolomne backcountry trip advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kateseely
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Tuolomne backcountry trip advice

Post by kateseely »

Hey folks! Glad to be a new member here!

I'm thinking about a trip out of Tuolumne Meadows up the Lyell Fork, xc to Bernice Lake and potentially even onto the Lyell Fork of the Merced, depending on the time I can carve out. Any suggestions of great routes in this region?

Also, I haven't done any xc really except basic exploring, never from point A to point B. I trust my map reading skills, but wonder what advice you would give me on doing this alone for the first time versus doing it with someone who has xc travelled before?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to hearing what this community says in response.

Happy trails,
Kate
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Tuolomne backcountry trip advice

Post by SSSdave »

Kate welcome to our community!

Before your trip do some homework looking at your expected route and locations you may camp near on Google Earth plus caltopo dot com including USGS topo, Map Builder Topo, and NAIP (satellite) modes. While negotiating unfamiliar crosscountry sections, actually having your topographic map in your hand at all times to frequently look at will over years make one better at consistently choosing the better routes versus those that do not. That may also over years evolve a keen understanding of what terrain looks like by just looking at a map.
gregw822
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by gregw822 »

Welcome, Kate. You'll find people are reluctant to give specific advice about cross country routes without knowing more about your experience and skill level. No one would want to suggest a route that is beyond your current skill set.

How do you intend to get from Lyle Canyon to Bernice Lake? There's a trail to Bernice from Lewis Creek. If you have little off-trail experience, it would be better to start with a known cross country route rather than work one out for yourself. I recommend R. J. Secor's "The High Sierra - Peaks, Passes and Trails". It a great resource for cross country travel, with coverage of many cross country routes and most of the Sierra's cross country passes. Steve Roper's book "Sierra High Route - Traversing Timberline Country" has a good section on cross country travel.

My first cross country trip was over Lamarck Col as part of the Evolution Basin trip in Sierra South (Trip 62, 8th Ed.). One of my favorite off-trail trips was Palisade Basin, also from Sierra South (Trip 69, 8e). The second option is much more challenging than the first. I'm not in a position to officially recommend either of them, since I'm not familiar with your experience level.

Off trail trail travel takes backpacking to an entirely different place. My most intimate and rewarding Sierra experiences have been cross country solo trips. They're not for everyone, but I think they're great. Each is a spiritual experience, for sure.

Good luck!
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

It would be much easier to give you advice if we had more details about your planned route. Can you link a CalTopo or something? And agreed with @gregw822 about needing a bit more background about what types xc of travel you're comfortable with. You say you don't have much experience. With that, I have many more concerns about saying "yes you can go from A to B" without knowing a lot more about your route plan.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Kate,
I'm in complete agreement with the preceding posts with the addition that Flamingo recently posted a great trip report that covers some of the areas you're contemplating. It will give you an idea of what you're facing. Yes, it's gorgeous country, but there are some major challenges in getting there. The idea of working gradually into xc travel makes more sense.
Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

HI Kate,

Welcome to HST!

Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

I'm assuming something like Rafferty Creek > Happy Isles for entry/exit points?

Once you're up the trail to Bernice, it's fun to wander up to the various lakes in that basin XC. While there are some sections that require routefinding around little cliffouts, it's mostly pretty rolling terrain and you're stuck in a basin so it's hard to truly get lost.

If you take the higher trail along the rim of the merced river canyon instead of dropping to the merced river, you can go upstream from the crossing and just sort of follow the lyell fork up as far as you feel comfortable doing / have time for. There's a use trail of sorts, some bushes and talus to overcome but navigation should be straightforward. You can go up from the valley floor, but there are some tight spots that I'm not sure I'd recommend to someone new to XC and on their own.
kateseely
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kateseely »

Thanks y'all! For the welcome and the very helpful replies. I don't have a set route yet, just poking around, but was feeling tenuous about planning something when I haven't done any xc on my own, yet!

Will look more into all of this and let you know what I end up doing. Appreciate the help!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

kateseely wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:35 am Thanks y'all! For the welcome and the very helpful replies. I don't have a set route yet, just poking around, but was feeling tenuous about planning something when I haven't done any xc on my own, yet!

Will look more into all of this and let you know what I end up doing. Appreciate the help!
If you're nervous about getting lost, the easiest way is to pick a stream that crosses the trail and then just walk up it. Can't get lost, just follow the water back to the trail.

Erutan's Bernice lake example was good, the lakes upstream of Fletcher also work in that area.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.