Need Advice- Pine Creek to French Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jim Lowe
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Need Advice- Pine Creek to French Canyon

Post by Jim Lowe »

Hi,

I think this is the first time I've posted in the backpacking forum. I'm Jim and I backpack and fish a lot. :)

I need some advice on a potential route. I'm planning to go into French Canyon from Pine Creek and visit French Lake, Puppet Lake and Merriam. I've looked at pictures and topos but I need some feedback on the actual terrain and the ease of moving from place to place. I'm excited to fish and make Puppet base camp for the first few days but am looking at French as a first day camp if I reach Pine Creek pass somewhat tired. (I'm not in great shape this year and know the climb out of Pine Creek is tough.)

How is it from Pine Creek Pass off trail directly to French Lake? More trouble than it's worth and I should just follow the trail? Or not a problem. I don't want to get my self into a situation where I'm boulder hoping or working my way through talus unnecessarily.

If I make French Lake the first night's camp. Then I'll it'll be off trail to Puppet. Again, is this a smart idea or would the trail be a better option.

Any preferred camping spots at Puppet or Merriam?

Thanks in advance for the beta.

Jim.
lvray
Topix Acquainted

Re: Advice- Pine Creek to French Canyon

Post by lvray »

The terrain from the pass to French Lake is very open and easy - class 1. If you are really tired, there are ponds at the pass and camping there (assuming they are not dry this year).

This is looking across French to the pass, which is right of center below Treasure.
french.jpg
From French Lake, you can make your way directly around to Little Lake and up to the Puppet Lake area. No need to go back to trail. Personally love the Puppet Lake area, but cannot address the fishing. From Puppet you can easily go to Alsace Lake and then over to Elba and pick up the trail again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Lowe
Topix Regular

Re: Need Advice- Pine Creek to French Canyon

Post by Jim Lowe »

Thanks! That helps. It's looking like the best way to Merriam from Puppet is probably to pick up the trail at Elba.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Hi Jim-

I went from the trailhead to French Lake in one day and was in decent shape and even then it was pretty tiring. You might consider making the first day super easy and hike into Upper Pine Lake and camp there, catch scores of the brook trout that are in that lake and then hit the pass and on to French the next day. French fished OK for goldens, but Little French Lake was crazy! Nothing huge, but very plentiful. I didn't go over to Elba or Puppet, but the cross country from the trail to French is super easy.

--F.G. Dave
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Jim,
Having recently done exactly what you're planning to do, yes, it's a bit of a grunt on day one, so the ponds by the pass may be a good option, or there are places even earlier to pull off, if need be. But, as already noted, the approach to French Lake is wide open. I'll append a photo taken in that direction from above Pine Creek pass back earlier this month. And, as I already noted, Merriam is gorgeous. Have fun! Cameron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

A less strenuous, less hurried strategy most use stops the first night at either Pine Lake or Upper Pine Lake that are at timberline. Pine Lake has always had a good population of pan sized brook trout. French and Puppet Lakes are quite barren within searing bright granite one mid day may be looking to hide from. Also unpleasant expanses on breezy days. An experienced person just needs a topo (and actually use it) as these areas are wide open for cross country. There is also better fishing than one might expect in some of the less mentioned lakes few blabber about since these are large lakes most that visit never bother to explore.

Jim Lowe
Topix Regular

Post by Jim Lowe »

Thanks for the beta folks. If I'm tired I'll definitely pull off somewhere. From everything I've gathered and from what you all have provided, it's rather easy going from the pass to French Lake (Thanks again). So if I can make the pass, I'll be headed down to French. I do have a plan B for camping in the vicinity of Pine Creek Lakes if that first 3K is too much.

@SSSDave, completely get what you're saying about the less visited lakes. Maybe some day. My expectations are that lakes with natural spawning will have better fishing but mostly smaller fish and the lakes that rely on plants will have slower fishing but larger fish. We'll see if that pans out. Except for Merriam, I'll be headed to the usual suspects if for no other reason than 1- historically big fish 2- it's my first time (Can you believe it? LOL) so I want to check out those places I've long read about and give them a fair shake. I know the lakes can be moody and timing is everything. I complete expect that some of these lakes may not produce or could even be fished out / dead. I'm planning to hit probably 8 lakes in the main basin but not venture too far outside of that this first time around.
Jim Lowe
Topix Regular

Re: Advice- Pine Creek to French Canyon

Post by Jim Lowe »

lvray wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:25 pm
From French Lake, you can make your way directly around to Little Lake and up to the Puppet Lake area. No need to go back to trail. Personally love the Puppet Lake area, but cannot address the fishing. From Puppet you can easily go to Alsace Lake and then over to Elba and pick up the trail again.
Thanks. Yep. That's the plan. French > Steelhead > L Lake > Star > Puppet for base camp.
RiseToADry
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RiseToADry »

The hardest section in the upper end of French Canyon is climbing the little ridge up to Puppet from Elba. It's fairly steep and will definitely get you sucking some wind. I've come down the ridge 3 times and generally start just to the southwest of the 11200 text on the USGS topo and drop down towards the middle of Elba and cross the inlet.

There are some good campsites north of the inlet to Elba and the best campsite at Puppet is up in the trees on the north shore, on the very western edge of their extent. It's about 150 yards up from the lake, so it's a longer walk for water, but I've found it's worth it to be sheltered from the persistent wind or beating sun like SSSDave pointed out. I've heard of others camping on on the southern peninsula into the lake, but you'll have to walk around the lake to get there.
Jim Lowe
Topix Regular

Post by Jim Lowe »

RiseToADry wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:36 am
There are some good campsites north of the inlet to Elba and the best campsite at Puppet is up in the trees on the north shore, on the very western edge of their extent.
Thanks. That works well for me as I'm likely going to be approaching from Star. I'd been trying to find good sat images of the lake and haven't found very many so this helps a lot.