Trip planning: Cottonwood Pass to Crabtree Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip planning: Cottonwood Pass to Crabtree Lakes

Post by grampy »

I have a Cottonwood Pass permit in a few days; planning an out (and back) via the PCT to Crabtree Lakes. Aside from simply enjoying the trip, a secondary goal is to assess my comfort level for Crabtree Pass, by doing the north (west) side as a day hike. If I feel okay with the level of difficulty, I will plan a future Miter Basin to Crabtree segment on a future trip.
>> yes, my current trip would be better as a loop/lollipop, but I have my own reasons for planning it this way.

Has anyone been in the Cottonwood Pass to Crabtree area this year ?
In particular, would like info on:
1. snow (or not) once I get to Upper Crabtree area
2. water level in Guyot Creek; the PCT forum water report described it as “flowing well” on May 27, but I can’t find more recent info. In normal times, I wouldn’t bother to ask, but things are pretty dry this year.

When I get to Crabtree Lakes, I’d like to camp somewhere near Upper Crabtree Lake; I’ve also seen a trip report or two mentioning camping at the “UPPER upper” (unnamed) lake, just below the pass.
Any advice on campsites near either lake would be appreciated.
Last edited by grampy on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Re: Trip planning: Cottonwood Pass to Crabtree Lakes

Post by GGC23 »

Over Memorial Day weekend this year, I did a lollipop loop from Cottonwood Meadows --> New Army Pass --> PCT --> Crabtree Pass --> Miter Basin --> Soldier Lake --> out via the PCT and New Army Pass.

There was a small amount of snow lingering on the north side of Crabtree Pass. There's a well established use trail over Crabtree Pass. The snow forced us to deviate from that use trail for a short stretch, but at worst, that just required some very mild scrambling. The Crabtree Lakes were 100% snow free, except for the uppermost lake, which had a tiny bit of ice left on it and some snow lingering on the south (north-facing bank). I would be a lot of money that all of that snow is now gone.

We camped at Guyot Creek on night #1. It was flowing strongly. That area was surprisingly wet, so I would guess that you'll still find some water there.

We didn't camp in the Crabtree Lake basin, so I can't speak to specific campsites, but from hiking through there, there looked to be ample camping available at every lake.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Thanks, @GGC23 for your input. I’ll be sure to post at least a brief trip report when I get back.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi grampy,
Since the northern Sierra got more snow than down South, and we watched gobs of the white stuff vanish on a recent Bear Lakes trip, I'm guessing you'll have to scramble to find snow for your chilled drinks. Crabtree pass should be a decent challenge (if your experience level is in the 2 zone), but certainly "doable". There are a couple of decent spots to camp along the northern side of the Crabtree Lake closest to the pass; it's an attractive canyon and the azure blue of the lake is a big plus. Looking forward to a report.......
Cameron
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

cgundersen wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:00 pm I'm guessing you'll have to scramble to find snow for your chilled drinks …
I’m fine with having my splash of bourbon ‘neat’, but my chronically-sore ankle will miss a little end-of-day icing. And yes, Crabtree Pass will be challenging for me, but I have the luxury (being solo) of going as slow as I need to, without the guilt of slowing anyone down.

And yes, I will write up a TR. Thank you for the input.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

There are campsites at both ends of the lowest Crabtree Lake and probably some in the middle if you look, but I did not bother since the inlet end is a great location. I would camp here because I like the possibility of shade in the afternoon.

I saw a tent on the outlet side of Middle Crabtree (up the hill a little bit) and you could probably find a spot on the north side of the lake. The east/inlet side of the middle lake has a lot of talus. I was just passing through so I wasn't looking for a campsite. This lake is very exposed, no trees.

The upper lake (below the pass) had a lot of talus on the outlet side and nowhere obvious to camp. I have seen reports of camping near the bottom of the pass (near the use trail trail) but I did not look and only remember talus. I would not aim to camp at the upper lake.

There was a very obvious user trail over the pass on the north side. It looks steeper/harder than it really is. I say this as someone who is not a climber and doesn't like heights :) The Miter Basin side is easy hiking but the route is not obvious, but it shows up on Caltopo.

I would take the Rock Creek Trail from Soldier Lake vs the PCT if I was visiting this area again. The PCT was hot and dry and not very scenic for that stretch.

hope that helps
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

I've camped at the inlet side of upper Crabtree lake. No issues finding a spot. I intended to camp higher, along the creek leading to Crabtree pass, but there was no water flowing. That'll be the case this year, shortly. That creek is a beautiful little valley between exfoliating heights...
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Last summer I was heading from the Miter Basin over Crabtree Pass. I was following the map closely. Then when I got to the last quarter mile before the pass, I followed the obvious foot trail to the pass. Unfortunately, that dumped me at the high western end of the pass, not at the lower eastern end of the pass. The best route goes from that eastern end, but I couldn't get there from here. I was able to descend, but it was not simple. There is a rock slab system that seems best for going either north or south, but I wasn't on it.

Once I left the highest Crabtree Lake, I lost the trail and could not consistently find it until I was at the lowest lake.