Options for Piute Pass TH

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Options for Piute Pass TH

Post by BardoPond »

Thanks everyone for responding in such great detail. We're definitely leaning towards option 2. I've marked all the spots that you mentioned on my map. With 4 days of hiking we should be able to see a lot of them, if we plan well. We could base-camp two nights around Desolation/Humphreys and then the last night around Muriel/Golden Trout, or vice versa.

I have to say that stevet's photos almost entice me to try Alpine Col, but we'd have to really be in the mood for type 2 fun. We'll at least take a look at Goethe Lake as has been suggested.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Paul says just above:
Everything I've ever heard about Alpine col is that it's a great route for a ski trip when the talus is covered by snow.
Exactly how we found it in early April;

100_1679.jpg
North side.

100_1663.jpg
South side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Glad you're "leaning" toward option 2. I've done the Alpine col to Lamarck col route. Based on your partner's concerns, if you take her on that trip, she will likely never speak to you again.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.