Route advice: 2 weeks in SEKI in august

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Route advice: 2 weeks in SEKI in august

Post by maiathebee »

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. I think there are good options in both places if you're willing to go away from the trail. The "use trail" from Rae Lakes to 60 Lakes has a sign, btw. Not sure when you were last there, but it's definitely not cross country anymore.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

My only suggestion to add would be to detour to Volcano Lakes as you make your way to Simpson Meadow. It's a gorgeous chain of lakes, and the x-country travel is very forgiving.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

Now that I look at a map your post-trail route looks even better. Don't be discouraged at the start of Cloud canyon as you round the northern edge of Whaleback. It's a bit rough with trees and talus but opens up beautifully a half-mile (or so) to the south. If you have extra time the higher lakes on the west side of Glacier ridge are special.