Help with Backpacking Tents

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brianmeans81
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Help with Backpacking Tents

Post by brianmeans81 »

I may be posting this in the wrong place and please tell me if I am, but most of my camping gear was stolen out of my car the day I was planning on a camping trip last year and I need to get a new tent. I'm looking to just getting a backpacking tent, but have no idea which one I should get. I'm ideally looking for a 3 season, 2 person tent I can take hiking (I'm assuming it would be fine if I just camped normally at a drive in spot too). Does anyone have some recommendations? I've been looking at REI, but I see so many reviews of one's that can't stand up in the wind or leak, etc. etc.

I'd appreciate any advice on some tents! Thank you so much!
paula53
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Help with Backpacking Tents

Post by paula53 »

Where do you like to backpack? How much weight are you looking for in a backpacking tent? REI has some nice 3 season 2 person tents under their own brand. Read the reviews. Big Agnes and Marmot have fine 3 season tents as well. Henry Shires Tarptent has single wall tents that are very light weight and can go the distance.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

what was your stolen tent? if you're looking for something analogous, it would narrow the field considerably.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

I've been personally eyeing a Tarptent ProTrail Li lately...
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

It really gets down to needs and wants. We have used a Sierra Designs 2 person tent the last few years and it has served us well: fairly light, ok on space, easy set up. This year we decided to get some new gear, including a new tent because our new 25" pads do not fit in our SD tent and we have two dogs that hike with us (SD was a little tight with 4 of us in there). After a lot of research, we ending up buying the Nemo Dragonfly 3. We camped a few weeks ago to test it out (using for three nights this weekend) and really liked the space, layout, ease of setup and weight. Price is high but with the sales on right now, the price sting is not as bad.

Hope this helps
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted

Post by tweederjohnson »

A couple years ago my wife and I ponied up (with some help from our REI dividend) for a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 -- we went with the 3-person for the same reason as Snowtrout -- we have two dogs and most 2-person tents weren't big enough. I've been pleased with it except for the bungees that link the tentpoles have lost their elasticity, so I need to call their customer service about it (which I've heard is good).

Prior to that, we used a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo for several years. Significantly lighter because of it being single-walled as well as relying on trekking poles instead of dedicated tentpoles for set-up. It has an area every bit as large as our Copper Spur 3 too. We really liked the weight and space saving in the pack, and it served it's purpose when we were a bit more 'ultralight' in our backpacking. It did require a little more attention to where you set up, and single-walled tents have more challenges when it comes to condensation and rain (we had a few strategies to combat the 'misting' that occurred when it rained).

But as we've gotten older, we've altered our style and tend to do shorter mileage and prefer a bit more comfort when we backpack. A sturdier tent and bigger sleeping pads have been a part of that.

Long story short -- I really like both tents but they serve completely different purposes.
brianmeans81
Topix Acquainted

Post by brianmeans81 »

I had a north face, a non hiking 2 person tent, but I do quite a bit of hiking and fishing now and wanted to get a lighter set up now. I do a decent amount of fishing up by Sonora Pass and camp near Yosemite, so it can get quite cold. Not too worried about pricing, but definitely would like to start buying my stuff back and some new items as well. Thank you all for the help!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

I had a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 person and it was great for my daughter and I and dog. However, when I started spring snow camping I took a 3 day course with Ned Tibbetts. During that trip, I had borrowed a friend's single walled Black Diamond. The wind got fierce and a couple of people had a Copper Spur and it could not stand up to the wind! That scared me because effectively, they were without shelter!! The Black Diamond stood up fine, but it was miserably cold and I hated the single walled tent.
Since then I bought a Sling Fin Crossbow. I LOVE THAT TENT!!! It stands up to everything. I bought both the totally mesh body and solid three season body. It is like two tents for the price of one and I just switch out the body using the same fly and poles, etc. Sling fin is not a well know brand, but the designer of the old, exceptionally sturdy Mountain Hardware tents from the 90's started the company and designs the tents. It is spacious and comfortable and will not collapse under high wind or snow.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Unclear what you are seeking, but I would second the BA Copper Spurs. Great tents. Likewise, I would suggest looking at Nemo Daggers and Nemo Hornets. I have Nemo Hornet in 1P and 2P models. They are excellent. The 2P is very tight so you either need to really wanna cuddle with the person beside you or simply view the space as a place for your backpack, etc.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

sambieni wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:46 am Unclear what you are seeking, but I would second the BA Copper Spurs. Great tents. Likewise, I would suggest looking at Nemo Daggers and Nemo Hornets. I have Nemo Hornet in 1P and 2P models. They are excellent - super lightweight and yet still freestanding (almost - you do need draw out/stake one end, but really no big deal at all). The 2P is very tight so you either need to really wanna cuddle with the person beside you or simply view the space as a place for your backpack, etc.