Ionian Basin Circle

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Ionian Basin Circle

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think the lake on the first photo is unnamed, at 12200+, with the small pond that barely shows on the map. The lake drains directly into Lake 10232 in Goddard Creek.

I have a permit to go in 7/27-8/5 this summer, from Maxon Meadow (Courtright).

Since others have shown their favorite photos, here are two if my favorites:
116_1620-21_small.jpg
TripReport_08_Charibdis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks for posting this. The Heart of Goddard Country endures as one of the most special places in the High Sierra for many of us. That I like that area so much even though many of its bodies of water lack those trout that I'm obsessed with testifies to its magic. I never get tired of seeing photos of that area.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by erutan »

I'm one of those yet to make it to Ionian, and was planning a large lollipop to fit it in before fires hit last summer. For the first time I'll probably have a shuttle vehicle available this year, so it opens up some options on the return leg to just turn into a hefty 10 day loop.

I'm thinking Lamarck Col > Davis Lakes > Valor Pass > Blackcap Basin > Finger Col > Upper Goddard Creek lakes area > Ionian Basin > Ladder Lake > Bishop Pass. The XC will be new territory for me past Martha :)

It all looks pretty straightforward aside from Black Divide Crossing, which looks legitimately unpleasant. I'm bouncing between the following options, leaning towards 2.

1) Ionian Pass then traverse to Black Divide Crossing (or just heading up to Black Divide Crossing from the tarns/lakes east of Charybdis) to Ladder Pass.

2) Dropping out at Black Giant Pass to the highway, then taking WD's route from the little ponds below 10,400 to 11,654 and then Ladder Lake. download/file.php?id=28211&mode=view
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Getting a permit may be your biggest challenge. North Lake (Lemark) and South Lake permits are really popular. I had to get a Courtright Reservoir (Maxon Meadows) permit. I am going to still try for the walk-in from South or North Lake, but am not very hopeful. Florence Lake is also an alternative approach, but not sure they are running the boat taxi.

It is too bad a little used area like Ionian Basin has to be under the South Lake/North Lake permit quotas.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 am Getting a permit may be your biggest challenge. North Lake (Lemark) and South Lake permits are really popular. I had to get a Courtright Reservoir (Maxon Meadows) permit. I am going to still try for the walk-in from South or North Lake, but am not very hopeful. Florence Lake is also an alternative approach, but not sure they are running the boat taxi.
It is too bad a little used area like Ionian Basin has to be under the South Lake/North Lake permit quotas.
Yes this has long been the issue with entry-point-based quotas. Whereas it allows for flexibility once on the trip it remains a big disadvantage for those headed for remote, off trail destinations. In terms of alternatives I'd agree that Florence L. is a viable option if they run the boat ferry. Also worthy of consideration is Rancheria out of Wishon Res or the off trail deluxe kickoff of Hoffman Mtn (near Rancheria but much higher). The Wishon-area kickoffs (Woodchuck, too) allow for two variants of approaches to Ionian Basin and vicinity. The northern one would go through Blackcap Basin and one can go "north north" to Martha L first then to Ionian Basin. The southern route might head toward Blue Canyon (long but easy off trail route), then to L10212/10232 then up to Ionian Basin.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

Permits should be a little easier than last year since Inyo is releasing them 7am daily one week out instead in a giant cluster every monday at ??. Lamark Lake permits do fill up, but generally not quite as fast as north and south lake proper, though there's less permits available for it (6-8 iirc). I actually had grabbed one last summer to do a less aggressive lollipop but was smoked out of the trip.

A westside approach probably makes more sense, but I'll be based on the eastside for the summer. I really do need to do more hikes from the SW (it's the only large area of the range I'm missing, and it seems spectacular), but logistically it's easier for me to be near 395. The fact that 395 isn't as flammable is nice too. :p

I looked at WD's blue canyon / ionian trip report and that seems like a nice option. I'd do Valor & Reinstein pass if so. :)
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Last year I needed a walk up. I spent one Monday watching for when they posted and how fast they went, and the following Monday spent the morning refreshing the rec.gov site so I could grab a permit the instant they became available. I suspect the same strategy would work this year, but the friday, saturday, and maybe sunday permits will probably get sucked up faster than the tuesday, wednesday, thursday permits. All said, get a sense for the beat rate the week before you want the permit and use that knowledge to snag the one you want.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

giantbrookie wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:14 pm The Heart of Goddard Country endures as one of the most special places in the High Sierra for many of us.
+1
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

stevet:
giantbrookie wrote:
The Heart of Goddard Country endures as one of the most special places in the High Sierra for many of us.
x3
In fact, we were so keen to get in there during this week's nice weather window, but not a single west side opening till June 2nd! (Note, I was only trying for North Fork Kings country, to get into Tunemah/Ionian Basin, or SEKI.) I did learn that the Mineral King road will open at 12 PM tomorrow (Wed 5/26). I was told that one can get "walk-up" permits by showing up at the Mineral King Station between 1:00 and 3:30 PM the day before your desired entry, and between 7:00 - 9:00 the day of. I hope I got that right; it was a rushed call around closing time. Can anyone corroborate that?

Anyhow, as most agree, Ionian Basin and Goddard Creek are real draws. I feel similarly about the Kaweah Peaks Ridge, and the upper Kern Basins, hence my concentration on getting into one of those two places. Not sure what to do with the damned WP uncertainty-- probably right back to Taboose Creek, nobody else wants it. :)
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

@stevet I got six from Inyo last summer... it was just annoying if I was out backpacking on a Monday (and their timing wasn't consistent when I was in the frontountry). Having daily releases at 7am is less stressful and my long trips will be leaving Thursdays this year so I'm not overly worried.

@harlen the 7-9 sounds off (wilderness centers don't stay open that late in my experience), their website says 3:30 which matches what you were given for the day before. https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ermits.htm agreed on upper kern basins, I've been to wales/wallace/wright once, I actually preferred them far more to kaweah & picket basins. Have looked at the ones E of table but haven't gotten in to them. I'm also planning some four nasties trips this summer...

fwiw Humboldt/Toiyobe is doing curbside walkups this summer, so that'd be an option if 395 is full for a last minute east side trip.