Drop foot problem

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Drop foot problem

Post by rlown »

So I helped a friend move last week to Crescent City. He is a metal artist. a 20' U-Haul packed to the gills along with a 700lb compressor. Took us two days to unload the beast. Yes we dropped the compressor and I have a huge bruise/contusion on my arm from that experience. Still, the next day, I could not raise my toes or ankle on the right foot and from mid-calf down to the toes it all tingles. Still can't raise it. Couldn't even put shoes on.
Sent a message to my doctor and he said wait two weeks to see if it comes back.. Sigh.

The funny part is I had to drive back from Crescent City to Elk Grove the day after. Try hitting the gas pedal with that! I was so happy to finally hit I5 and set the cruise control for a reprieve.

Anyway, I'm hoping the calf muscle will relax and the nerves will heal. The cramping seems to tell me that the muscle is trying to relax.

It needs to be back by mid September for my trip.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20372628
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Drop foot problem

Post by balzaccom »

Oh yeah. When we were younger, they would tell you to wait a day or two and see if it improves. Now it's two weeks. I can hardly wait--in ten years, they'll tell me to see if it gets better, or if I die first...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I was on this ride before. Same foot. after my move from Petaluma to Wilton. Foot was swollen for 2 months. Tevas were my answer as shoes don't fit. It will heal, but I look really stupid walking now. Also losing the left big toenail. Got a nice LH Remington 12 Gauge out of the work.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Visited the Dr today.. Knee works fine as he asked for a push and his chair hit the wall. It is ankle down that is the problem and where the swelling is.. Still no up on the foot. just down. Walked up the stairs to the appt and took the elevator down. I have a PT appt on Monday (video)
My thought is that the swelling pinched the nerve bundle and in a month after the swelling goes down, I'll be fine.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Almost 2 months and no joy. Gonna cancel my September trip. Right foot angles down to the right when I walk, but the support seems to help, except uncomfortable. Right now, I'm just afraid of rolling the ankle.
Might just be Neuropathy after helping my friend move. That scares me the most.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

A real bummer Russ....Keep workin on it!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Just moved 2 freezers for my mom. 1 dead, 1 ok. Might of helped or hurt. used the trailer to move it from the container. More space now. :) Gotta love webbing to secure the load.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

canceled my reservation for Piute pass on 9/15 today. 4 spots open. maybe.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, I've been reading up on the peroneal nerve. My next doctor's appointment will be to ask for a better test to find where the nerve is actually pinched. Last visit, he ripped a tongue depressor in half with a sharp end and a dull end. Asked me to close my eyes and then told me to say "dull" or "sharp" Go Kaiser!

I think it is in the ankle, but they have tests to find it electrically. I've always have been hard on the ankles.

If it isn't permanently damaged, it could take a year to heal. My brace actually helps me walk faster and the ankle doesn't feel like it is just going to roll over.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Ok.. So no EMG test. They want to x-ray and then maybe a MRI. Basically told me to walk it off. :derp: The doctor thinks it is pinched in the knee above the head of the Tibia. So back to brace and walking after the smoke clears and it isn't 101 outside.