Taboose Pass with Bears, 4/27 - 4/30

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose Pass with Bears, 4/27 - 4/30

Post by commonloon »

Awesome photos @Harlen ! Looks like a great trip w/ Bearzy is his element as always. Taboose is one of my favorite passes... Fun.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

oldhiker wrote:
Jealous of your outing. one pic labeled sunrise sure looked like it was coming from the west behind Arrow Peak?
Yes it sure was nice to get back to the mountains. I hope you will be there soon yourself. Interesting that you mentioned Arrow Peak Mike, because I credit your photo of that same peak-- the very first of the "Photothon" thread, for my fascination with it, and renewed desire to see it again. I really love the cool, dreamy quality of your image, and it showed me that Arrow could be a very enjoyable climb-- especially if I tried that northeastern ridge route. [Anybody: I just failed 3 different tries at pasting oldranger's Arrow Peak photo from the Photothon thread to here. How is it done?]
My early morning photos of Arrow are actually pre-sunrise. A photographer friend always referred to it as "sweet light," and said that it is sunlight banking off the lower atmosphere, or something like that--Maverick?

Here is another from that early morning, the very first shot:

100_0961.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Tue May 11, 2021 9:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

[Far] Wandering Daisy wrote:
I once did a point-to-point trip from South Pass to Taboose trailhead with plans to hitch a ride with someone going out. Well, nobody went out and I walked the road- a lot longer than I thought- ending up going all the way from the lakes below Striped Mountain in a day-ended up in dark, quarter mile short of the campground. Had I known I was that close I would have continued.
Well, why not-- you've already walked for nearly 800 miles! :thumbsup:
WD, if I am an animal, you are a legend! We all know of your love of the Wyoming Wind River Range, but to do a "point to point" from South Pass* all the bloody way to the Sierra, exiting Taboose Creek, is just amazing! How were your feet at the end of that one? I'll bet you had trouble with water all through the Basin and Range province. :crybaby: And after all those miles, you couldn't even get a ride down to the Owens Valley? I just Googled it**(see link below), and your journey from South Pass to Taboose Creek Campground was no less than 787 miles, and that doesn't count the miles you hiked in the Sierra to arrive at Taboose Creek. Like I said, "A Legend." :nod:

*South Pass (elevation 7,412 feet [2,259 m] and 7,550 feet [2,300 m]) is the collective term for two mountain passes on the Continental Divide, in the Rocky Mountains in southwestern Wyoming. The passes are located... between the Wind River Range to the north and the Oregon Buttes.

**https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Taboose ... 2!1d-118.2
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My early morning photos of Arrow are actually pre-sunrise. A photographer friend always referred to it as "sweet light," and said that it is sunlight banking off the lower atmosphere, or something like that--Maverick?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_shadow ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org