Vernon early May

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Vernon early May

Post by SSSdave »

Vernon_5-1-21S.jpg
(mouse select to expand)
Sentinel Hub gave us the clearest image so far this spring over much of the Sierra today May 1.
Vernon_5-1-21N.jpg
Looks like an interesting short 5 day base camp trip to Vernon is now possible that I might try fitting in before a week long mid May road trip to north coast redwoods. Just minor snow through Rim Fire areas about Beehive Meadow. If crossing the outlet bridge is possible, I would tent down below the the lake in the glacial granite bedrock flats under isolated pines. No camp view of lake however few mosquitoes, not where bears expect, close to creek for water and dip. Certain to be areas of monkeyflowers, gilia, and onions in granite sand flats. Rainbow trout farm in Falls Creek above Vernon.

Also on Google Earth 2017 per below, Rim Fire burn areas west of Beehive Meadow show extensive areas of lupine at 6300 feet with good afternoon sunlight that often colonize such burned mid forest areas. But what happens on a dry year like this? Thus first day will just hike 5 miles up 2500 feet to 6300 tenting at a seasonal stream about 150 yards east of the trail enjoying a lot of fragrance. Then second day will hike the 5.5 miles 600 feet up to Vernon and camp there a couple nights. Last day could also hike out just half way to same 6300 foot spot.

(mouse select to expand)
Lupine_5-1-21N.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Vernon early May

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't been checking in lately and I had already made plans to do some early season hiking midweek (quickie during finals week) to one of the lakes in the area that I had predicted would be thawed by the first of the month. I already have my wilderness permit and it was good to see this post and the photo as of today (May 9). I wish I could take several days up there, but alas the only time I can spare is for a T-W overnighter.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;