SEKI Opening Info 4/28

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SEKI Opening Info 4/28

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
Attention, Kings Canyon fans! Highway 180 into Cedar Grove is OPEN! A few things to know before you go:

- Thus far, Sentinel Campground is only campground open in Cedar Grove, by reservation only. Make reservations at www.recreation.gov. Other campgrounds are expected to open closer to Memorial Day. Check go.nps.gov/seki-campground-info for updates.

- Trails are open for day hiking. The Zumwalt Meadow trail is only open on the south side of the meadow, as the other side washed out over the winter two years ago.

- Until quota season begins on May 28, backpackers departing from Cedar Grove trailheads must self-register at Road's End.

- The market and lodge are expected to open closer to Memorial Day. Until then, there is no food available for purchase in Cedar Grove. Come prepared with what you need!

- The Cedar Grove Visitor Center is expected to open for the summer on May 27.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bernard
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: SEKI Opening Info 4/28

Post by Bernard »

Thanks for posting this! Might you or anyone here know whether or not Convict Flat CG is open? I have had difficulty finding out via the ranger stations and even the Grant Grove visitor's center which is usually good for this detail. Thanks!
Bernard
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bernard
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Bernard »

Thank you!
* Slapping myself in the face on this one :)
- Bernard