Trip Advice: Early May, some cross-country and snow travel

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice: Early May, some cross-country and snow travel

Post by maiathebee »

Looking at the Mammoth summit cam it looks like you'll probably encounter snow. Definitely call the ranger though!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

kirstinrode wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:43 am @maiathebee Was planning on hiking up to Duck Pass 5/14-16 going up Duck Pass Trail (have permits) thoughts on conditions? Was going to call ranger next week for road updates and potentially camp lower at like Barney than Pika if snow is an issue. Planning on microspikes, gaiters, polls/snow baskets but not sure yet. Appreciate your insight. Thanks!
Mammoth_5121.jpg

People wondering about snow conditions should be looking at Sentinel Hub. Obviously those zones are still almost all snow covered and not much is going to change in two weeks including all those frozen lakes. Well I see Convict Lake is snow free haha. Lakes covered with snow are of course boring. Understand also there are plenty of times it has snowed in May so winter may not be over. In fact since Mammoth is still very much covered with snow per above and spring lift tickets are just $65, so I am considering tossing my skis gear in the Forester while out on a short east side photography trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SSSdave on Tue May 04, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirstinrode
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by kirstinrode »

Thanks! Just saw a photo of Barney Lake and its not frozen over and heard Duck Pass Trail is 99% clear of snow as of 2 days ago up to Barney. I will check out the hub though. Thanks.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The air photo shown above has 2020 date. This is 2021. Not sure why you used old data for a request of information for this year.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 am The air photo shown above has 2020 date. This is 2021. Not sure why you used old data for a request of information for this year.
Here's this year's, from May 1st. The pin drop is on Duck Pass, and you can clearly see that Duck Lake is frozen. I skied across Horseshoe Lake on April 25th. But Kirstinrode is sorta all over the place (writing multiple threads asking for conditions, ignoring data when it is presented, ect.). Seems like she's ignoring anything that doesn't tell her it's good to go, so whatever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey, Talimon and kirstinrode (?)

I just returned from a Taboose Pass trip, and it was just about snowless to the pass (11,360). What snow there was near the top, and on the west side up high was solid for walking without any of the damned gear I took with me. I kept the snow shoes with me because I have a fear of getting stuck somewhere punching through with a full pack- one can only take so much of that before your done. Anyhow, before I decided to take my best friend/dog along, I had the bright idea to go up Sawmill Pass, and then north over to Taboose Pass and down, with some day tripping in between. I reckon that would suit you well, as you can put in some nice long miles hiking up the "Upper Basin" to Mather Pass and back, from a camp in fire friendly elevation (below 10,400') near Twin Lakes, or in the Bench Lake area (but below the lake). Or, you could day hike up over Cartridge Pass for look that way.

So you'll have snow-free travels in and back out, the wildflowers are already going wild down low, and there's at least one handsome Black Bear up Taboose Canyon. Hope you have a great trip wherever you end up.

p.s. if you have a crappy bike, you could first stash it around the T. Creek TH, and ride it back to your car at the Division Creek TH for Sawmill. Your partner could watch the gear, and loll about in the water of T. Creek. (~10 mile ride)
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 am The air photo shown above has 2020 date. This is 2021. Not sure why you used old data for a request of information for this year.

No why. Rather an ooooops. Funny how I didn't notice all those 2020's on that screen capture after I'd spent time looking at the whole range on 5/1/21 then later reopened the link for the post. The replaced map does show Arrowhead, Skelton, and Barney at least partially melted out so definitely much earlier than average for May. Also Virginia and Purple show a bit of open water so may melt out by mid month while the rest are frozen. It does look like the Tioga road end may be the only decent area for skinning up back country skiing. Virginia Lakes and Sonora Pass look thin.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Oh Harlen! You are such an animal. Don't you think you should say something about the ELEVATION GAIN! Don't get me wrong. I really like Taboose but it is a vary strenuous if your first trip of the season. Harlen has been out doing radical winter trips all year, so is in great shape (and so is Bearzy). And add the gain to get over to Sawmill? :eek:

Anyway, those who ask for this advise, be sure to sit down and calculate the gains as well as distance for Taboose-Sawmill. If you are in great shape and very experienced like Harlen, then go for it.

Also, the snowpack in the southeastern Sierra is significantly lower than in the Mammoth Lakes area and north. So Bishop or farther south for less snow; Mammoth and north for more snow.

Harlen- how was the road to the trailhead and the stream crossings?
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

WD asks:
Harlen- how was the road to the trailhead and the stream crossings?
No trouble at all with the Taboose stream crossings; I just went up and back Taboose, and didn't know it was ever a problem. On the other side I only lazed about, and then climbed the west end of Cardinal's Ridge, so no crossings on that side.

Re. the road, I made a mess of it. I came in late... or early, I should say-- 1:30 AM. Nice moonlight one day after full, but I chose the dirt/rock road closest to Taboose Cr., and couldn't reach the TH. in my Corolla wagon. I got within a mile and a half, and the car took a beating. There must be a better access road slightly up valley. If not, whatever agency is responsible should send 2 people with heavy picks, and they could make the road I was on driveable in a single day's work. Half the time, the problem rocks were just lying there to be moved. I was able to drive another 2 miles from where I first halted by stopping to move rocks 5 times.
Harlen! You are such an animal.
Not really, I struggled to get over the pass in a day, even stopped to sleep for an hour on the way. I got sick of a fairly light pack, and stashed my ice axe on the side of the trail. I did manage to return late Friday at 11:30 PM, and still join my friends for their Santa Cruz Mts. hiking marathon 6AM the next day. Do animals suffer from shin splints? :eek:
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I chose the dirt/rock road closest to Taboose Cr., and couldn't reach the TH. in my Corolla wagon.
I am surprised you could even make it to 395 in that beater-