2021 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Hetch Hetchy Rancheria ~ 6/11-6/13

Post by aaron_in_sf »

1 tending toward 2 in shaded areas of the reservoir trail, bit of activity at dusk, but minimal. A few biting flies.

So dry. I swear even the animal and bird life is distinctly muted.
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Humphreys Basin 6/11-6/13

Post by oddtiger »

2 at North Lake, the way up the pass is 1 above 10000ft. Conditions in Humphreys Basin varies a lot. In general lakes on the south side is 1-2, north side is 2-3. They are coming in full force in a week or so. Occasionally 4 at swamp. Wind helps!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: 2021 Minarets 6/9-14

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Overall- 2 except Lk Ediza-3

6/9- wind, 20-degree temperature, snow -- no mosquitoes!
6/10- Garnet Lake, hatching, but no biting, only dusk
6/11- Iceberg Lake - none
6/12- Nydiver Lakes - none (very windy)
6/13-Rosellie Lake- few at dusk, also very windy
6/14 - walk out - minor annoyance Shadow Lake area, never bothered me walking, had to walk 3 miles up road- none

Planned camp at Ediza, with day hikes to Iceberg and Nydiver Lakes. Scrapped that plan once sat down for lunch!

They are definitely hatching. Without wind probably bad this next few weeks.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Kibbie Lake 6/11-6/13

Post by SSSdave »

Kibbie Lake and trail 2 all below 6.7k elevation.

Lots of mosquitoes after location sunset, before location sunrise, and all night long. The rest of the day, they were only an issue if one was walking about a marsh or lodgepole fern forest area. Reason? Large numbers of damselflies and dragonflies that don't come out till morning sun shines and then leave late afternoon. In lake shore areas with water grasses, damselflies were abundant. We didn't need DEET and after dunking in the lake mid afternoon laid about the shore bedrock in just swim trunks. I got bit 2 or 3 times on my hands over 3 days.
JohnAZ
Topix Newbie

Re: Rae Lakes Loop 6/7 - 6/13

Post by JohnAZ »

Spent a week hiking the Rae Lakes loop clock-wise from Kearsarge Pass. Mosquitos seemed to get heavier as the week went on. My observations:

Gilbert Lake: 1
Kearsarge Lakes: 1
Bubbs Creek: 2
Paradise Valley through Woods Creek: 1 (was very windy with temps near freezing overnight)
Arrowhead Lake: 2 (wind & colder temps kept them at bay...there were clouds of newly hatched just flying in circles in some spots)
Sixty Lakes Basin: 4 (I had planned on camping here, but the mosquitos were horrendous in the main basin anywhere below 11,000')
Rae Lakes: 2 (very similar to Arrowhead Lake, kept reasonable by cold winds)
First 1 mile from Rae Lakes to Glen Pass: 3
Kearsarge Lakes again: 2
Gilbert Lake again: 3
maytag
Topix Acquainted

Desolation - Meeks Bay TH/PCT/Phipps Pass June 12 - 14th

Post by maytag »

Just returned from 2 nights -
Meeks Bay Trailhead to Lake Genevieve - PCT to Phipps Pass - Stony Ridge Lake and out.

Lake Genevieve - 1
Spent first night at the PCT Junction with Genevieve Trail - 2
PCT to Phipps Pass - 2 to 3 at times...better when the breeze kicked up.
Second night at Stony Lake - 1 when the strong breeze was blowing...the morning not so great 3
The hike out improved as we dropped in elevation.
Overall not too bad.
middleweight_marmot
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Pine Creek>Honeymoon Lake>Granite Basin 6/10-6/12

Post by middleweight_marmot »

Pine Creek to Honeymoon Lake, Granite Park and Chalfant Lakes Basin 6/10-6/12

6/10 Hiking up to Honeymoon Lake - 1 the whole way. There was a freeze the night before and a consistent breeze kept the mosquitoes at bay
6/11 1 at camp in Honeymoon Lake in the AM. 1 in Granite Park, which hadn't quite greened up all the way yet. 2 in Chalfant Lakes Basin (which was stunning) and 2 back at Honeymoon Lake for camp in the afternoon. No wind during the warm afternoon, which led them to crop up again.
6/12 2 at Honeymoon Lake. Got an early start down the trail but it was a 2 near Upper Pine Lake and Pine Lake. Nonexistent below Pine Lake along the dry switchback part of the trail.

All three of use ended up with a handful of bites over the trip. They were only mildly annoying for the most part.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Blue Lakes Road Region, 17-June

Post by c9h13no3 »

Hiked the PCT to the Nipple between 8000-9000' yesterday in the afternoon (2-5PM). Anywhere there was water or even wet soil, mosquitoes would land & bite despite the stiff breeze. I'd hate to see them at dusk.

The mosquito season is certainly here. You've been warned.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

6/17-6/18 Desolation Wilderness

Post by maiathebee »

Bayview to Eagle Falls junction - 2
Velmas area - 4
Camper Flat - 4

I had a 3 night trip planned, bailed and hiked back out due to having a dog with me. I could have stuck it out if only humans concerned. I have a headnet, long sleeved clothes, etc, but poor pup was just getting destroyed.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
KathyW
Founding Member

06/15/2021 May Lake, Yosemite

Post by KathyW »

I hiked to Mount Hoffmann via May Lake. Mosquitoes were bad at May Lake and along the inlet. At least a 4 in that area. I had DEET on and still got 3 bites. They were out but not as bad between the trailhead and May Lake. Up closer to Mount Hoffmann they were a 0.