Wilderness Permits via recreation.gov 2021

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness Permits via recreation.gov 2021

Post by erutan »

The passthru idea is interesting, and similar to what Yosemite has for LYV & Glen Aulin so there is some precedent. For the latter I use the fisherman route which shortens the day and wouldn't want to stay at Glen Aulin anyways, so a 1mi away from GA is easier to get and preferable. :)

If they don't do walkups in some way (RIP my past summers where I didn't have to **** calendar my backpacking trips), I wonder if pass-thrus could have some wiggle to them as they're in non-impacted areas. Like a Kearsarge permit has to be used for that day, but a pass-thru that goes past Kearsarge Lakes the first night can be used a day (or two?) before or after to adjust for weather. That seems a bit unlikely, but would also semi-solve the issue of freeing up poor rangers from the desks of wilderness centers while giving people some flexibility to respond to weather, life, etc.

Additional thoughts:

I just book a one night trip exiting the same TH with a random camp, then go back later and edit it for the proper dates and zones (as michaelzim mentioned as a tip earlier). http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ap#p163883 is a help for SEKI as some spots are unintuitive for me. If I'm staying in Wright Canyon I'm not going to type in Tyndall creek etc.

In regards to increased cost - the Sierra Nevada is still cheaper than pretty much any other place that has permits. The Olympics, Grand Canyon, Glacier, Paria/Buckskin (and other hot SW BLM spots) charge ~$6-8 for a trip then $5-6 a person per day. A five day trip into Paria Canyon for two was $59. A ranger at the Grand Canyon was wondering how the Sierra funded itself with the free walk ups (we paid around the same amount of money for a one night walk up permit there as a trip of any length would be in the Sierra).

re: off the clock rangers, I only talk to fun rangers and not gun rangers. I've met one cool gun ranger ~Vogelsang peak, and one at Lee's Ferry that came up to the van as we were cooking dinner and wanted to make sure we weren't going to spend the night there (nice BLM pullouts ~5mi away, so we weren't), but I got interrogated by one for five minutes for sharing beta at Glen Aulin once so tend to not engage.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Permits via recreation.gov 2021

Post by michaelzim »

- - - WARNING!!! - - - Rec.gov is not "refreshing" for me any more by just clicking the "Filter" button when using that as my early morning 'check for permits' method!
I have been watching Kearsarge over at Inyo every morning this past week as the rolling 2 week "W" permits become available soon after 7:00 am. I had the filter pre-set for Kearsarge and then kept clicking that "Filter" button every 15 seconds or so. As time went on I did a full "refresh" up at the address bar, re-filled in my info, and the permits would finally update. After two days of this I experimented for the next days with two windows open...One using the "Filter refresh" method and the other the slightly more tedious "Full refresh" method.
Result = ONLY FULL REFRESH showed the new released permits, even if I changed the date or number of people in the "Filter" option! Which is kinda goofy, as this method used to work earlier in the season. *[I'm using Chrome web browser and Explorer/Edge may work differently].

Best ~ Michaelzim