compatibility with backpacking others

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: compatibility with backpacking others

Post by erutan »

I've always been the clear "trip leader" when backpacking with others as an adult, which I honestly can find emotionally tiring. I plan the route, plan contingencies, keep an eye on how they are doing energy wise, what terrain they are comfortable with and how I should routefind based on that, etc. I'll often ask others for input on what to do on a micro scale (head up to see a lake or keep on going, drop left which looks steeper or right which looks smoother) and am completely open to suggestions, it's not a macho thing just that I have far more time in the range than anyone I've gone backpacking with and I'm usually including some terrain I've done before, know about HST/Secor/etc. I'm much more on the "see something cool and wander over" side of things than "omg route". It's a very different feeling than being solo for me, though the more experience I have with someone the less energy being "trip leader" is.

I was listening to a podcast about someone who went on a silent meditation retreat and it was eerily like solo backpacking - day 1 is normal, by day 3 all the **** you haven't dealt with in the back of your head is all up in your mental space because there's no distraction from it (aside from appreciating and navigating terrain) then by day 5-6 you're in a sort of floating present mindset where everything else sort of melts away and you just are. That's pretty much a mental blueprint for my first long solo hike of a season. It's still there with others, but the effect is muted.

In 2011 I did a trip with two guys I bumped into on trail and then in backpackers that went well, but other than that it's been a trip with just one other person I know well. There's two friends that I might lead shorter trips on this summer, but we'll see. Most people end up not finding the time and I don't harass them over it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I must be an odd-ball. I have been out as much as 8 days without seeing anyone! And as the days go on, the more I like being alone. My mind goes blank with regard to all the troubles I may have in real life. I meld into the environment, thrilled with everything around me. On my longest trip solo I saw people in the distance down the hill I was headed, and purposely waited until they passed, so I could stay in my wonderful solitude. It is incomprehensible to me to have stress and other issues bubble up into my mind. I do not go into "deep thought", but rather just float along. I suppose some psychologist would have a lot to say about that!

This not to say I do not enjoy backpacking with compatible others; it is just quite hard to find compatible others.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

When solo backpacking, I often have my wilderness photographer hat on, and that takes my mind off many things. I'm looking for wildlife, and I'm looking at the wildlife habitat. If I see one particular species, I need to understand the surrounding habitat that attracts that species.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

i generally dont enjoy backpacking tirps with other people, even less so leading it. It would be fine if we had similar abilities and goals, but I have yet to find that in a steady partner

day hiking...sure! but when backpackign I prefer to go where I want when I want at the pace I want making the decisions I want without worrying if its the right choice for the group

I have had fun on short backpackign trips with familly and friends with clear easily attainable goals. But when I have friends and family that try to tag along on big trips it usually doesnt turn out well
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

I experience the most profound sense of solitude while canyoneering, solo, in canyon country of Utah/Arizona. A lot of real estate where no one will ever bother you. Route finding can be exceedingly difficult, however, and risk management more nuanced. The sense of commitment is similar to winter soloing in the Sierra. I find this terrain more challenging than the Sierra for a number of reasons.

On most of my backpacking trips day to day issues disappear the moment I back out of my driveway. I am pretty much focused on the trip, if not in the moment, until I wake up the day after coming back home. I relish companionship, but enjoy soloing as well. I come from a large family, learned to be flexible, and like the energy and companionship of a group. Likewise I also cherish time alone more than other folks, perhaps because I am from a large family.
I like soloing with friends.