HEAT WAVE

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

HEAT WAVE

Post by SSSdave »

At 4pm it is now 97F outside my residence here in the SF South Bay and feels like it. Tomorrow, Sunday, forecast to reach 102F. At noon when I came back from a 2 mile urban street hike it was only 82F so hot hot dry air moved in from the north. Following shows current conditions across the state with lots of triple digits. Even the higher Sierra is showing lots of warm 80F+ temps and Reno is up near 100F. Worst today is not Death Valley that is only 119F but rather some of the Sonora Desert areas around the Salton Seas to Yuma that are over 120F.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?obs=true&wfo=mtr

Inside my 4 plex unit is only 73F despite having a broken AC as I let cool air in this morning while it got down to 62F. By sunrise tomorrow morning, my unit is likely to be up near 80F so will drive out to the San Mateo coast where the immediate coast is cooler and do some shore stones photography and while away the day. Lets all hope no more fires start.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: HEAT WAVE

Post by rlown »

Well, it is only 105 here. Pulled the tractor out and washed it as tomorrow I have to drag a massive eucalyptus limb that fell which i cut up to get it to the burn pile. First, air up the tires.
I'm not feeling your pain.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Currently in Albuquerque where it's much cooler than my hometown in SoCal, where it got up to 115 yesterday and cooled down to 82. Supposed to hit 116 today, so not going to get any sympathy from me.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, my horse, CR died last night, and it is going to 110 today, and I'm trying to find a renderer to pick him up... on a Sunday.. sigh..
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

rlown wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:38 am Well, my horse, CR died last night, and it is going to 110 today, and I'm trying to find a renderer to pick him up... on a Sunday.. sigh..
Sorry.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

rlown wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:38 am Well, my horse, CR died last night, and it is going to 110 today, and I'm trying to find a renderer to pick him up... on a Sunday.. sigh..
No words can do justice, so sad and sorrowful.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Sunday now 11am and temperature outside is 92F after reaching down to 70F at 7am with a forecast for 104F. A few local spots at higher elevations where the inversion keeps it hot at night on the NWS map now are above 100F. Where it is already ridiculous is the LA basin where now 5 hours from peak temperatures, it is already over 100F everywhere, even hotter than the deserts to the east. It is even showing above 100F temps on 3 of the channel islands way out in the Pacific where the ocean water is only about 70F. This may be the hottest day in some areas of the state during my lifetime. Note am a native of downtown LA.

I was going down to the coast today since I have no AC but have decided to stick it out though may go tomorrow. Inside my residence is just 75F.

LA-9620-11am.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Yeah, it's hot here in LA. High of 115 today where I'm at.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I was going down to the coast today since I have no AC but have decided to stick it out though may go tomorrow. Inside my residence is just 75F.
Fix your AC already! Just a thought.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

So sorry to see this Russ, hopefully CR wasn't in too much pain.