When people break the rules

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: When people break the rules

Post by Love the Sierra »

I am so glad that you posted this. It kills me to see people damaging or endangering our already endangered wilderness.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

erutan >>>"Yeah, I've definitely broken one of the three rules when setting up camp. The Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne has very few sites 100 feet from trail..."

There are numerous old packer sites closer than 100 feet along major all year streams with adjacent trail. The national park service knows they are there and obviously expects groups to continue to use them. So what is going on? Well those that promote the logic that the whole public ought be treated like Homer Simpsons so all policies ought be simple understandable even by the stupid will not want to admit there ought to be any obvious exceptions lest the easily confused suffer. No one early to mid summer will contaminate streams like where the JMT/PCT crosses Pine Creek along the SF San Joaquin River. Flows are too large in either streams so anything would be hugely diluted in seconds. In cases like Kip Camp on Bear Creek, the NFS has long ago fixed an exception in that zone. Big streams are simply not in the same category as alpine lake edges.

Now given the above noted reality, I dislike siting closer than 100 feet from rivers, however such established camps are so dominant, I prefer to criticize authorities of policy that over my lifetime tend to be rigid. On the other hand that attitude give excuse to others that may use the same logic to publicly ignore practices a consensus of environmentally considerate would condemn.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

SSSdave >>>"...where the JMT/PCT crosses PineCreek along the SF San Joaquin River.
correction gogd,
sb. Piute Creek