TR: LLV to Pioneer Basin 7/6-7/11

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bradg
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: LLV to Pioneer Basin 7/6-7/11

Post by Bradg »

Just got back from five days over Mono pass to Pioneer Basin. a similar trip to what Harlen just posted.

Day 1 LLV to Trail Lakes: We took out time getting over the pass as we were both feeling the altitude. The weather was perfect and surprisingly there were no mosquitoes. Jack and I go way back. We reminisced on the the views of Abbot and Bear Creek Spire which we had climbed in a long weekend decades ago.
IMG_3993.JPG
We only made it as far as Trail lakes this first day. Old age is catching up to us! The fishing was fun for small brook trout at the first lake. An easy place to work on rusty casting skills.

Day 2: We decided to day hike down to Golden Creek and then hike up to Golden lake to fish. The creek lived up to it's name. It was full of hungry fish. You had to sneak up on them, but that was part of the fun! At the lake, we saw many larger fish in front of the outlet. They seemed to be spawning and were not interested in our offerings. We left them alone and scrambled to the inlet. It proved to windy to fish, so we made our way up to the trail just below Summit Lake and then back to camp

IMG_3970.JPG
Day 3; We decided to hike over to Pioneer Basin on this third day. We found the first lake to be full of hungry Brook trout. We fished for a while and then headed up the lovely meadow to the second set of lakes. This lake had larger fish, maybe 10 inches, but they were skinny. Mostly Brook, but I did catch one Rainbow. Anyways, fun to catch.
IMG_3967.JPG
Day 4: We broke camp and retraced our steps along the outlet creek form the lakes. This creek flows through a beautiful classic High Sierra meadow. It too was full of fish mostly Brook, but I did catch one Golden. We stayed a few hours and fishing in this enchanted place before making our way back to Trail lakes.
IMG_3979.JPG
Day 5: We broke camp fairly early and were back at Mosquito Flats by 11:30. What a zoo! There were cars and people everywhere. After a quick rinse in the stream, I headed South on 395 to the LBC. The car thermometer at one time read 111 degrees, just south of Lone Pine!
IMG_3991.JPG
IMG_3994.JPG
Takeaways: There weren't that many people in the backcountry! Maybe the permit situation caused people to stay home.

Even though Mosquito Flats was mobbed, it was good to see so many people enjoying the Sierra. Hopefully this will help preserve this beautiful place for future generations
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: TR: LLV to Pioneer Basin 7/6-7/11

Post by balzaccom »

Nice report! I've caught a few goldens in the outlet stream from the lake in Fourth Recess, as well. Lovely area.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the words and photos.
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Great report. I know one thing about that fish you labeled "Golden?", it's incredibly beautiful.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Jason wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:44 am Great report. I know one thing about that fish you labeled "Golden?", it's incredibly beautiful.
I second the fish comment and wish I had made it.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The trout image looks more rainbow than golden so a hybrid. A purer golden would not have as many spots, especially below the center red band and parr marks with more gold coloration towards the belly, sometimes with red at belly with males. Also more color on anal fins. In some lakes with hybrids, one will catch quite a variety of colorations. Large mature adults are more consistent. Have seen mature small sized hybrids from streams that end up with that coloration.

Too bad some of those making decisions at DF&G decades ago didn't seem to care what they plunked in many of our high country lakes as long as it made their horse packing outfit friends happy.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Definitely looks like a beautiful, wild, stream caught, rainbow to me. possibly it is a hybrid but it looks pretty classic rainbow/redband to me.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Thank you for the report. How were the bugs?
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

I think we ran into you on your hike out from Pioneer - we were on our way there. Such a gorgeous area - and so thankful for that constant breeze to help with the bugs!
Bradg
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bradg »

Yes, it didn't look like a pure Golden to me either. That's why I put in the question mark. It was very different than the Brookies we were pulling out of the stream. That was just an incredible day in the Sierra. Perfect weather, few bugs, and a Sierra creek full of wild trout flowing through a beautiful meadow.

Very few mosquitoes the entire trip, which was surprising. It feels mote like August than July.