Gov't doing a great job!?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Gov't doing a great job!?

Post by thegib »

It doesn't seem right to not give a shout out when we're pleasantly surprised by good government. So I'll go first: I've never, in 35 years, reserved a permit and I screwed up my first attempt a couple weeks ago. A SEKI employee called me (!) to clarify and then processed my two requests promptly while saying how happy he was to be back in the office! Permit 3 went thru w/o a hitch. I'm pretty happy w SEKIs response so far.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Gov't doing a great job!?

Post by balzaccom »

I've had great help from both the Sierra National Forest wilderness office and Lassen National Park in the same way. The latter actually responded to an email of mine in less then twenty minutes, answering a question and clarifying the situation in Lassen--great people, great help.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

I completely agree! Always been happy with all of my dealing with the NPS and NFS. I had a bit of a hassle trying to get a permit with the new system last Friday, 14 days before my trip, but at the end of the day I was able to get a hold of a person who actually let me know they were having some issues and they would be released on Monday (today). Very pleasant conversation too about hiking and the Sierra in general.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Those permit people are humans too.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Agreed. And they are honestly some of the nicest humans to talk to. Always love talking to them whether it be on the phone, in the office, or on the trail depending on where they are from day to day.