Upper Kern Basin - best spots?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sturdyoak2012
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Upper Kern Basin - best spots?

Post by sturdyoak2012 »

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip in early July with some of my friends. We're heading up Shepherd Pass (pretty nervous about that), and then from there, we're looking to hit some nice spots in the Upper Kern Basin.

What do you guys think are some of the nicer spots in that region? To be clear, I'm talking about the area bounded by Caltech Peak, Mt. Ericsson, and the GWD. The trail seems to miss a lot of those lakes...
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Upper Kern Basin - best spots?

Post by bobby49 »

Milestone Basin.

You might want to state your priorities for what makes a spot nicer.

For the last two years, I've gone up Shepherd Pass from the parking lot to the crest in twelve hours.
sturdyoak2012
Topix Novice

Post by sturdyoak2012 »

Thanks for the suggestion.

I guess I like "open" areas, pretty untreed and, in this case, with really nice views of the peaks on the Great Western Divide or the Kings Kern Divide.

Also, wow twelve hours. That is pretty frightening.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

"Also, wow twelve hours. That is pretty frightening."

Not necessarily. I leave the parking lot at 3 a.m. in cool air. That is very helpful for those first several miles, and it causes you to need less drinking water, which also reduces your load. Then I keep my backpack down to thirty pounds or less (food for six days or so).

Last year was my 43rd annual trip up Mount Whitney, so I am not exactly a beginner.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2019_Trip_ ... 019-7.html

Won't publicly advertise where most of my images were shot, however use of caltopo plus Google Earth can provide excellent indications of what is visible from specific locations although the displayed landscape formations are often useless. That is where the actual topo can provide a clearer picture given experienced imagination. To get the same conditions this summer as I experienced is probably late July. The majority of areas more than a couple hundred yards from trails, lakes, or use routes, never see any people all summer. Ain't that great! Also due to the very porous granite sand geology, large areas are waterless not long after snow melts.

One impressive lake zone I noted on my way out is the lake at ~3470 meters on the topo below the "A" in PARK of SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK"
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are many "best spots". Some have better fishing, all have great scenery. There are a lot of trip reports that you may want to read so you can decide yourself. Also depends on how much time you have. If limited in time, I would stick to one or two upper drainages. With more time you can visit the drainages on west, east and north. It is about half a day's hike to cross the basin. Off-trail travel is required to reach most of the "best spots".

Early July is likely to be buggy so be prepared.