Backup Day 0 Camping

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Backup Day 0 Camping

Post by tmorton23 »

I have an approved permit application for SEKI for an August 7 entry date. My original plan was to stay the night of the 6th at the Sentinel Campground at Cedar Grove. That campground reservation got cancelled this weekend, and it is unknown at this point if any campgrounds will open in SEKI this summer. I did some poking around and found Princess Campground in Sequoia National Forest that is on the way to Roads End (about an hour drive time) that, at the moment, has availability. Does anyone have any experience with this campground? It's a little more money than Sentinel, but I'd really like to have a Day 0 camp at some sort of elevation before we head out. Or, do I wait until after July 4 (as I am seeing may be the date that further decisions are made for SEKI campgrounds) and try to re-reserve a campsite in SEKI, if available?
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Backup Day 0 Camping

Post by Lenier »

Princess is gorgeous. It's right off of highway 180, and the sites are mostly spacious with few exceptions. Lots of sequoias, a meadow, and sequoia stumps in the campsites. It's maybe 15 minutes driving from Grant's Grove. I'll be there in mid June, and have walked around there before with my kid.

Want me to check on anything in particular while I'm there?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I just crash on a forest road, because I'm cheap.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

that always worked for us up 120.. a little turn off to the left.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:13 pm I just crash on a forest road, because I'm cheap.
Thanks for that map, I knew of most of those but it's nice to have something to give to my folks when they visit.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

rlown wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:19 pm that always worked for us up 120.. a little turn off to the left.

I'm thinking 168 would be better for them, Russ.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by tmorton23 »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:13 pm I just crash on a forest road, because I'm cheap.
That's a great map! So, find a spot on the side of the road (in the designated areas) and pitch a tent? Or, do you have to camp in your car? There could possibly be 4 of us, so if we are camping in the car, it would be a little tight. Forgive my ignorance, I've usually either driven to the trailhead in the morning or had a campground for the night prior.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

tmorton23 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:25 am
That's a great map! So, find a spot on the side of the road (in the designated areas) and pitch a tent?
Sure, that's fine. You'll often see crews of fishermen with RV's, a generator running a TV and the works in popular spots. It's usually good to drive a bit down the road, find a spur that isn't the main artery so you don't have people driving by at night. And sometimes you can find a fire ring or picnic table if you're lucky.

And it doesn't have to be in designated areas, it just has to be on National Forest land and not be signed for "no camping" or "camping in designated sites only". Course, often times places near National Parks are signed as such, since they're high use areas.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.