Jack Main Canyon?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Jack Main Canyon?

Post by kpeter »

For early trips like yours, I would HIGHLY recommend you start the trip counter-clockwise so you come to the bridge at Wapama Falls about an hour into your hike. It is often the most dangerous crossing of the loop at this time of year. That way if it seems dangerous, you can change your mind, backtrack only a small amount, and continue on the trail up to Beehive for an in-and-out trip.

What happens for some people who do the loop clockwise is that they reach the Wapama bridges at the END of the loop, and rather than backtracking over 90% of their loop they force themselves to risk an unsafe crossing. Those bridges in early season are probably the biggest source of deaths over the years in Yosemite. There are numerous threads on them. You are much more apt to make the correct decision when you face them early rather than late in the loop.

I love Jack Main Canyon. If that is your destination you may wish to bypass Vernon and go straight up the Morraine Ridge trail. Coming down from the ridge into the canyon the trail tends to become a creek at this time of year, so be prepared for some wet work. Once you get into the canyon you may find that Falls Creek is not crossable anywhere, and in some seasons it runs high enough to cut off the trail through the canyon completely. This was a low snow year, however, so you will probably have an easier time with it.

The other dangerous crossing if you do the loop is the bridge at the outlet of Vernon Lake. This crossing can be safe one day and uncrossable the next. It varies depending on how warm the previous day was and how much snow there was to melt. I camped by the bridge last year and in two days it went from being a thigh high raging torrent just to get to the bridge to being a calf high placid flow. I would recommend talking to everyone you see along the trail to find out what they know about the bridge. Talking through your bandana.

Finally, be aware that June is bear-waking-up-season in the Vernon lake area. There are many hungry bears and you will want to be extra vigilant with your bear canisters and your scent hygiene. It is the worst area I've ever been in this regard, so be careful. I've never had an issue, myself, and have had fun watching the bears. But they are there, they are curious, and they are very hungry.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

If I could offer another suggestion...
I've crossed the Wapama bridges at high water a number of times. If the wooden deck is simply wet and slippery, you can get across it simply by wearing good rain gear. However, there have been times when the water was flowing over the wooden deck. If there are two people, I recommend roping yourselves together about twenty feet apart. That way, even if the flow manages to knock one person down, the rope will catch on the steel sides to keep the person from being washed away. It doesn't have to be anything too fancy.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

After reading your posts again, it seems you are relating you have a Rancheria trailhead permit but expect to use it to go to Beehive Meadow? If so, you don't have an option to do that as at least in the past, those are in different first night zones. In other words, one needs a permit for the trail up to Beehive Meadow not Rancheria. That is always a reason Rancheria permits are easy to get before Falls Creek flow reduces. And note it has always been illegal to tent anywhere between the dam and those lake trails as one needs to go a long ways to get out of that zone.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

With all due respect, the idea of "roping together" crossing Wapama Bridge when water is rushing over it is, in my opinion, NOT safe! It also is my understanding the part where people have been washed off is not where there are rails, but the on and off ramps to the bridge.

SSSdave, I believe the fellow said he had is permit changed so he is able to go in to Beehive.
torpified
Topix Acquainted

Post by torpified »

Yes, I was permitted for Beehive. It was a blast. But not a blast of water.

Here is the bridge across the base of Wapama Falls about 1 pm on Monday---almost perfectly high and dry. But still a thrilling place to stand and look up at Falls Creek falling.
bridge at base of wapama falls.jpg
And here's the bridge over the Falls Creek outlet of Lake Vernon, also Monday. As you can tell from my shadow, it's about 5 pm.
Falls Creek Outlet from Lake Vernon.jpg
And here, just because I like them, are some snow plants. They were growing profusely between Beehive Meadows and the Jack Main junction.
snowplant.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Wow! That is placid. Low snow and early melt, apparently. Here is the bridge at Vernon June 7, 2019. This was down from a couple of days earlier. You can see the water marks from the water that circled the far end of the bridge then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, peak melt looks like its pretty much over, last year peak flow rates lasted into early July. Spring is hanging on at higher elevations, but it won't last long. The skeeters, dust, and crowds of summer are coming.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

torpified wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:36 pm
Here is the bridge across the base of Wapama Falls about 1 pm on Monday---almost perfectly high and dry. But still a thrilling place to stand and look up at Falls Creek falling.

And here's the bridge over the Falls Creek outlet of Lake Vernon, also Monday. As you can tell from my shadow, it's about 5 pm.
I just noticed the timing. Did you make it from Wapama to Lake Vernon in four hours?!
torpified
Topix Acquainted

Post by torpified »

The photos are time stamped 4 hrs and 12 minutes apart. After taking the first one, I hung out on the bridge awhile gawking at the falls and eating lunch. So 4 hrs more or less. (I like walking uphill, and by the time the uphill petered out, it felt mosquito-y enough that I was motivated to keep moving.)
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

torpified wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:41 pm The photos are time stamped 4 hrs and 12 minutes apart. After taking the first one, I hung out on the bridge awhile gawking at the falls and eating lunch. So 4 hrs more or less. (I like walking uphill, and by the time the uphill petered out, it felt mosquito-y enough that I was motivated to keep moving.)
You are an impressive hiker. That is 13 miles and 4000+ feet of elevation in 4 hours. Zounds! You really must like going uphill :p