Echo Chalet water taxi morning service

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Echo Chalet water taxi morning service

Post by SSSdave »

Am likely to do a short warmup backpack with a few others into Desolation areas near Aloha thus will be taking the Echo (Lake) Chalet water taxi as have done in the past that was later in the morning or afternoon. Their website shows the boat ramp open 10am till 5pm. Question herein is by mid summer, what time does the first water taxi leave the dock? Am expecting that is earlier than the ramp 's 10am. Also am aware their taxi service is likely to vary depending on the amount of visitors and that will vary early season due to PCT snow conditions.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Echo Chalet water taxi morning service

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I looked at the times on two older photos that I have when I used the taxi- mid-July at 10:30AM, early June at noon. Even leaving at noon, we got to Aloha Lake to camp that day, so I do not think it is critical to have an earlier taxi. They have really raised the prices the last few years, so I no longer use it. The hike along the lake is really easy and does not take long at all. Just not worth it to me anymore. I do not know how you would social distance in that little boat. Are you sure they are even going to run the taxi this year?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

In past years like 2017, Echo Chalet didn't update their website until they finally opened. Given what we can infer at this point about contagiousness outdoors, I personally am not going to worry about social distancing sitting next to others while in a moving boat out in fresh air for a short period as the viral load would be too small, especially if wearing a mask while within the boat that we can expect. As a warm up group 3 day 2 night backpack where others less fit expect something easy, I don't want to add 2 miles to what is likely about right at 3 miles and less than 1k.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Is the road to Echo Lake Chalet open and parking available?

Is Desolation Wilderness open to those that have permits?

From some quick web searches I did not find any indication that the road was closed or that Desolation Wilderness was not yet opened.

Thanks for any information you might have.

David
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Do you really need to get on the boat before 10AM? Unless you are camping locally the night before, it takes an hour minimum to drive there from east Sacramento, and probably 2-3 hours from the Bay area. With most people, even starting at 10AM, there is more remaining daylight than they have energy to continue hiking. I really do not see this as a big issue. Same with walking out if you have to drive home after the trip.
wldmarion
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wldmarion »

The road is now open to the parking lot but I just spoke to the fellow that runs Echo Chalet last Tuesday (5/26) who told me that it is very unlikely they will be running the water taxi at all this year due to virus concerns. That will add about 2.7 miles each way to your hike into and out of Desolation on the PCT from there.
Last edited by wldmarion on Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Didn't say anything about leaving soon as will obviously wait a few weeks for snow to melt as I've many times mentioned, am not a fan of backpacking into early season melting snow zones nor the blazingly bright snow landscapes with little green or wildflowers.

Despite 2 trips into that basin, there is still much I have not explored as it is a large area. For instance haven't been to any areas west of Pyramid Creek or the north end of the lake. The more base camping time available, the more I can plan for and do. Preferably it would be from a 5>6am 90 minute drive, the ferry ride, and be on the trail before 8-9am reaching the destination before mid day leaving a whole afternoon for activity. In any case not a big deal just preferred if possible

kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kylekuzma »

Dave,

I just got back from a 4 day trip in the area. Haven't gotten around to the TR yet. The road to Echo is open, but the water taxi is not running now and will likely not run for the entire season. Private boats are running to the houses along the lake, but we failed when trying to get a ride. We went rather quickly and the hike to the end of the lake took us about 25 min.

Desolation Wilderness is open, but requires a permit. We had no trouble getting one but i dont know what it's like currently. Encountered no Rangers in the backcountry checking. It was rather empty given that it was Memorial Day Weekend.

Note that there was snow everywhere above ~7800 feet. The trail to Aloha was clearly pounded out, but it still made for slightly annoying walking. Lots of post holing and slow going. Aloha was totally buried in 2-4 feet of snow, but there were a few islands that people were able to set up camp around. Nonetheless it was absolutely stunning. We ended up continuing on from Lake Aloha all the way to Velma lakes over Dicks Pass. This was one of the most taxing days ive ever had in the mountains due to the snow, but also one of the most beautiful. From start to finish it was jaw-dropping. The hike up to Dick's Pass from the south should be required hiking for all those interested in the Sierra.

Hope you enjoy!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

wldmarion wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:55 am The road is now open to the parking lot but I just spoke to the fellow that runs Echo Chalet last Tuesday (5/26) who told me that it is very unlikely they will be running the water taxi at all this year due to virus concerns. That will add about 2.9 miles each way to your hike into and out of Desolation on the PCT from there.

Thanks for that key info, appreciated! Likely to vector plans over to Green Creek, a longer drive.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Anyone heard if Wrights Lake road is open?