Day hikes in the Eastern Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Day hikes in the Eastern Sierra

Post by Solace-seeker »

I'm interested in possibly doing some day hikes along the Eastern Sierra this weekend. Is the parking at the Onion Valley trailhead open? Is there parking available at the trailheads west of Bishop? Possibly Sabrina Basin. I was considering hiking the Blue Lake Trail?
Thanks Solace-seeker.
GGC23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Day hikes in the Eastern Sierra

Post by GGC23 »

Onion Valley Rd. is open and clear to the trailhead. The trail up to Kearsarge Pass is passable without much concern, although you will hit pretty significant snow. That said, the last I was there was about 2 weeks ago, and snow conditions are changing rapidly with this week's heatwave. So you'll find conditions on that trail to be very different from what I experienced 2 weeks ago.

There's plenty of parking in the North Lake and Sabrina areas. South Lake Rd. is undergoing construction this year, so I've been avoiding that area. I took my dog on a quick walk up to Blue Lake on Wednesday evening. There's nothing except some tiny patches of nuisance snow up to Blue Lake. The George Lake and Blue Lake outlets were very swollen from the high temps and snowmelt. There was no way to keep your feet dry crossing them, but the crossings were not at all difficult or dangerous. I didn't venture beyond Blue Lake, but I chatted with a guy who went up to Donkey Lake and Dingleberry Lake. Sounds like conditions up to those lakes were pretty much the same, although the lakes were still partially frozen.
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Day hikes in the Eastern Sierra

Post by Solace-seeker »

Thanks for the great info GGC23! I appreciate it
Solace