Shelter in Place Movies

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shelter in Place Movies

Post by maverick »

Seen any good outdoorsy movies lately? Just saw a pretty good one, "Call of the Wild", on Netflix: https://thevore.com/film/94303/ :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Re: Shelter in Place Movies

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Not an "outdoorsy" movie, but if you haven't seen 1917, I highly recommend it. I think it's a masterpiece.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well lets see. I've mowed 5 acres of pasture twice. Time to mow again. I'll be glad when the heat hits.
Fixed my rear exhaust mount on the truck as they are discontinued. Had to get a piece of conveyor belt and cut and drill and remount it.
Have to put in two new camper roof vents with 30 screws per vent and butyl and silicone sealer.
Then Mom says she bought the new pasture fencing. ughh. 9 rolls of no climb and a pallet of T posts. (This is the first trip. It will be three trips.) I have to unload that with the tractor tonight so we can go get another load tomorrow. Using the tractor/chain to do that.

I did sneak in time to watch "The Martian" again yesterday. Kind of outdoors. "Gravity" was fun as well.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Saw 1917, guess it's outdoorsy. :)

Russ, you would enjoy "Call of the Wild", came out this Feb on Netflix. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

Maverick,

Thanks for the heads up. Will have to take a look. Difficult to pass on anything based on the writings of Jack London, an international superstar.

London died in 1916 and John Muir in 1914. Their ranches in Glen Ellen (London) and Martinez (Muir) are separated by only 27 miles. Yet I have never found any evidence that these two California giants ever met or corresponded with one other. I have inquired about this with the staff at the two ranches and struck out. If any HST members now anything on this subject, do not hesitate to share.

Jim

PS- The ranches are well preserved and worth the visit. London's ashes are beneath a giant rock (on a knoll next to the graves of two pioneer children) on the path down to the Wolf House. Muir is buried on the nearby property of a neighbor.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

Here are some "outdoorsy" movies from my movie library. Most have a main theme that is related to the outdoors but some, like "The Thing", only have a component that is outdoor related. Most fall into the first category. I've seem the majority (but not all) of the movies and I've left out any clunkers that I know I wouldn't recommend.
Outdoor-movies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SirBC on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
Dave | flickr
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

I just noticed that for the poster "Valley Uprising" there is a sunstar right in the middle of Half Dome :derp: I wonder if whoever composited the poster has ever taken a landscape photo. An even closer look shows that whoever did the composite also forgot to remove the sky on the left (and top) of the rock overhang that the climber is on, so that overhang is just floating in space.

valley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SirBC on Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
Dave | flickr
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Here are some “outdoorsy” titles -

“Find Me” is an interesting independent movie from 2018; written, directed and starring Tom Huang
... lots of outdoor shots in Zion, Death Valley, and Yosemite

“Apocalypto” is a 2006 movie (directed by Mel Gibson) that is shot 100% outdoors - about a man being pursued through the jungle after narrowly escaping a “human sacrifice” ritual by his Mayan captors; he needs to outwit his multiple pursuers while trying to get back to his family. Excellent, IMO, if you can stand subtitles.

And (of course), Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

One of the finest outdoor movies I have seen is "Touching the Void". It's a documentary that is half talking heads and half re-enactments about two good climbers in Peru who have an incredible adventure that nearly kills them. At various points you can't believe they will survive, but they obviously did because both are interviewed. Really gripping. Much better than "127 Hours", which bothers me a lot because it tries to turn foolishness (heading solo into the slot canyon without telling ANYONE where you are going) into heroism. "Free Solo" is also on top of my list because it helps illuminate what drives Honold to attempt such insane feats. But even though you know the triumphant conclusion, it is still nerve-wracking to watch.
-Phil
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

High Plains Drifter. Nice scenery.